So much for reestablishing my tank....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
I'd like to note that one might notice the contradiction between the notes mentioning betta sp. mahachai breeding best in pH of 7.8 and my saying betta splendens prefers lower pH. Please keep in mind that mahachai also prefers to breed in brackish waters, whereas splendens seems to avoid waters containing levels of saline. There is also reasonable arguement that mahachai is it's own species and as such has recquirements differing from those of the more common and commercial betta splendens. :)

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
You would know, we dont breed'em,..........:)

Kyohti

Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Thats fine, good info also, we don't breed betas so thats not an issue for us, you had asked a question, and i stated the ph range from a few sites, our beta seems happy........:)
Ahh... I see. Well my issue wasn't in the pH itself, but how it was acquired. My tap pH is higher than my tank's pH. I add drops to the water to lower it and I never have to add more unless I add more water.

People were saying pH bufferslike crushed coral only last for a little while and then suffer a pH crash. I've never suffered this with my pH lowering drops and I'm curious if this might be a way James could maintain a higher pH. They sell pH raisers as well as my pH lowerers.

I keep Dante at a lower pH partly because I always keep my bettas this way and partly for the happiness of the tetras and snails in the tank, who are thriving in the blackwater extract. They like a lower pH, too!! :dance2:

Kyohti

Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
You would know, we dont breed'em,..........:)
Yes, I understand this. I'm offering this up as general information. ^_^;;

smallfry

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
Hi James, Sorry to confuse by asking if you had reverse osmosis water. The definition given by another member was right. My reason for asking was because your ph is 6.0 naturally and everything read zero across the board. It seemed like you might have a brand new R/O unit in place. People like them for drinking water - and when first installed, they have a tendency to produce acidic in the ph 6.0 range, but after they're properly established output at a neutral 7.0. You don't need one of the units in your case at all - I just thought maybe that would account for your readings. That's all. :) (And, some fish keepers use it if they want to start with "pure" water and add their own minerals back in. Pure R/O water is never used all by itself for fish though - because fish do need some minerals etc)

If the fish look fine in their container - everything sounds like it is going right. Keep up the good work!

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
Iv used cc for about 8 months now because of Ph issues, no crashes yet, our neighbor has used it for 7 years, no crashes yet,, go figer.......:)

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
ok....its go time...moment of trueth. i poured them into a net and then droped them into the tank. cross your fingers for me.

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
something else in the well water may be killing the fish.. sometimes pesticides can get into wells, especially if yours isn't deep. (most residential wells are not deep enough to avoid occasional contamination)

what about using bottled water?
if you've got a walmart or something similar nearby (sams club) you can buy water in 5 gallon jugs for reasonably cheap.. if not, grocery stores will sell a gallon for a dollar.. you gotta make sure you're getting just water though (no added chemicals or minerals for taste... you can add your own minerals in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store