So much for reestablishing my tank....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
as many of you have read....i had the great kill off....leaving me with only two neons. well..for the past few days it has been just these guys. i thought i might be safe to try and reestablish it. i went out and got me three silver tip minnows (think thats what they are called). needless to say...in less than four hours....i still have two neons. unreal!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Somethings wrong. if you could list some info on your tank and water conditions maybe someone could help.........:eek:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Definitely need some more info, not everyone will be aware of previous threads or facts.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
np...sry...they were actually white clouds.

tank is 29 gal w/ gravel medium and about 80% full of water. only occupants are two neons and two plants.

water parameters at last test were:

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate ~ 10
ph - 6.2 ( i thought this was interesting in that it dropped .4 from last test but the lfs said not to worry about it)
saline ~ .02 - have not added anymore salt to it. trying to steer away from salt as many here have recommended.
temp is around 76

fish were acclimated by letting the bag sit in the tank for approx. 15 minutes. I purchased one of them breeder type holding pens and then placed them in that for an additional 15 minutes. Then turned them loose in the tank.

I noticed one stayed near the top (he was probably the first to go) the other two were together at the bottom. It was progressive from there...1 then 2 then the last...just that quick in a four hour time span.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
well, the lfs was right in telling you not to worry about your pH.

unless you have ich or it is a SW tank, there is no need for salt.

try letting the bag sit in the water.. then pouring a little bit of tank water in the bag with a cup.. wait 15 mins, and repeat.. do this for an hour and a half. then net the fish out of the bag and release. unless you have other tankmates that may attack them right away, there is no need for a holding pen within.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Your water parameters look good, unless its the concentration of salt, try the above method and maybe a water change to get some of the salt out of the tank......:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store