Thinking about joining the army.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ch-47 soldier

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
My husband's a 25B. Because of really great ASVAB scores and a perfectly clean background (so he was eligible to get top secret clearances), the recruiters bent over backwards to get him on, promising him extra college funds beyond the GI Bill and a 20K sign on bonus (payable in pieces over the 6 years he had to sign up for, plus 2 years of inactive duty after)...but this was back in 2007 and they weren't getting many people that were qualified signing up, and they really needed those spots filled. Where he's at in Baghdad, it sounds like there are too many 25B so a lot of times they also end up pulling guard duty and that sort of stuff, but since he's been gone a while we're not familiar with the current demand state-side, and we don't know anything about Afghanistan yet. It never hurts to ask a recruiter...just don't sign anything until you've gone through every letter of the contract and it states exactly what you want. Even then, they'll find ways to complicate things...

with that being said, the GI bill is an option, i suggest taking it. while you are on active duty you have tuition assistance so you dont have to use your GI bill or pay out of pocket. you wont find out about any sign on bonus until you go to MEPS. the recruiters can sometimes ballpark it but its not guaranteed until you go to MEPS and sign the contract.
unfortunatley there is no such thing as a demand for state-side or anywhere else. its about how many people are already in that MOS. it also depends on where you go. ive seen many different people in many different MOS's doing jobs other than what they signed up for. thats part of being in the army. youre a soldier first, your MOS is secondary.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
On another note when you take your ASVAB, don't be alarmed if other people finish much faster than you. Every branch of service has a slightly different test. As an example, When I enlisted in the Navy, the guy next to me was going into the Marines, the other side Army, and the guy behind me the Air Force. The guy for the Marines finished so quickly, the rest of us felt dumb. Turns out the academic requirements for the marines are a little lower than the rest of the branches. the guys taking the army version finished next and me and the Air Force people seemed to be in the test room for at least thirty minutes longer....

Knoxx

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Wisconsin
I would like to chime in also for the Coast Guard. With you wanting a job in law enforcement this could be good for you. You'll probably spend 6 years enforcing the laws in our international waterways. I only spent 4 years in the Navy in the 80s and all we did was training exercises. In the CG you'll be on a real missions every time you cast off with a variety of duties whether it's rescue missions or search and seizure. You could be stationed anywhere from the Great Lakes, Mississippi River to coastal areas. In the 80s we even saw a Coast Guard Cutter in the harbor in Sasebo,Japan while we were there so even over seas duty is possible.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'll start by saying
There is nothing wrong with being a service man
I am grateful for each and every person who chooses this career path.

I was never in the service ..my dad 22 yr army my brother in the Air force.

I was a Police Officer for 2 years.
if you think the service puts a strain on a relationship..I got news for ya..Police Officers have one of the highest divorce rate..it takes a very special woman/man to deal with their spouse being a Police Officer.

btw, school to learn how to be an officer.. forget about it.

I have a 4 year degree (BS) and it took me 3 years of testing and interviews to get on.
the written tests are only the beginning..wait till you get the oral boards..

I actually qualified in the top 20 on three departments. number 5 on the list for one before I 'fit' the need.

MP/AP/SP...doesn't matter.. they would re train you anyway.. military service does add a few points in score tho.

STINKY_FISH_1

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2018
From Las Vegas, now live in N. California
Real Name
Jenn
Hey guys, some of you may know me a little from my posts, most of you probably don't. I'm a 25 year old guy who's stuck at a dead-end job and having trouble moving up in the world and/or finding happiness. I have a wonderful girlfriend who I'd love to turn into a wonderful wife, but I don't have the means to move out of my parents house and in with her, let alone pay for a wedding. I've been working 45 hours a week to pay for going to school part time, and I'm miserable. I've been trying to do as much as I can to get myself a more stable career path to no avail. I've been trying to become a police officer and a few other similar jobs and regardless of the fact I got excellent scores on the tests... they aren't really hiring at all right now. I can't simply just wait around for potentially the next 4 years (thats the potential hiring period for most of the tests) and hope someone from one of the tests I took calls.
I need something more in life. I would like some adventure, to get out and do things I've never done before. A fist-full of self discipline would do me wonders as well. I'm thinking the army might be a good choice for me. I've had it in the back of my head for a long time but have always known if I brought it out that everyone that is close to me would try and talk me out of it.
If anyone has taken the plunge and had a similar or differently hard time making the decision please shed some light on this situation for me. I'd really like to hear some other peoples stories.
I was in the Army from 1989 until 2001 if you want to talk in a private message {?} I'm only 8 years late coming across your post, LOL {Hey, you're still within the age bracket}
* 82nd AIRBORNE*
* DEATH FROM ABOVE ! *

Hey guys, some of you may know me a little from my posts, most of you probably don't. I'm a 25 year old guy who's stuck at a dead-end job and having trouble moving up in the world and/or finding happiness. I have a wonderful girlfriend who I'd love to turn into a wonderful wife, but I don't have the means to move out of my parents house and in with her, let alone pay for a wedding. I've been working 45 hours a week to pay for going to school part time, and I'm miserable. I've been trying to do as much as I can to get myself a more stable career path to no avail. I've been trying to become a police officer and a few other similar jobs and regardless of the fact I got excellent scores on the tests... they aren't really hiring at all right now. I can't simply just wait around for potentially the next 4 years (thats the potential hiring period for most of the tests) and hope someone from one of the tests I took calls.
I need something more in life. I would like some adventure, to get out and do things I've never done before. A fist-full of self discipline would do me wonders as well. I'm thinking the army might be a good choice for me. I've had it in the back of my head for a long time but have always known if I brought it out that everyone that is close to me would try and talk me out of it.
If anyone has taken the plunge and had a similar or differently hard time making the decision please shed some light on this situation for me. I'd really like to hear some other peoples stories.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store