58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I will look into that, the big auctions are cool.

It is a hardwater setup though. Corys wouldn't be a good fit, especially cause my pH is SO high. I prefer small fish too but I need hardwater loving, outgoing fish cause I pass closely by this tank quite often. Also cheap and easy are requirements for this tank. :) And I've never had any mollys or platys, for some reason.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'm over the livebearer thing but I understand how you want hardwater happy fish & they fit the bill. Swordtails come in some cool looks but so do mollies & platies. I think your all male tankmates sound like a good, fun & colorful mix without all the overbreeding :)

Not sure of their needs but maybe some syno. lucipinnus (sp?) catfish instead of corys etc. I've been tempted by their prettiness & small-ish size but you know, the loach thing for me, ;)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks for your input. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an all male molly/platy tank, even if it is SO newbie level. ;)

I LOVED my luipinnis and if I ever keep them again it will be to breed them. So that's on the back burner for now, in my future plans though. Their needs fit this tank pretty well. Although not typical in a planted tank it can be done but I'd want the water a bit harder still for them. Good thinking!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Most of this post is just a pet store....review? Just talking about my experience really.

Went to a pet store today that I have never been to before. It was small and a bit dirty, like all the dry goods were covered in dust and I mean covered. They had everything though... fish, ferrets, hedgehogs, chickens, scorpions, frogs, snakes, lizards etc etc! And typical of something trying to do everything there were some downfalls. The fuzzy critters seem to be the worst off but not horrible just like they had no hiding places type of things.

But let's talk about the fish. It was almost exclusively 10gs packed with fish, PACKED! There was one cichlid that was literally just able to fit from top to bottom and from back to front and he wasn't alone in the tank! But other than a couple slightly cloudy tanks there were fairly clean and the fish looked very healthy, healthier in fact than ANY other place I've been recently except one saltwater specialty store which is phenomenal. And surprise surprise not a single dead fish! Tanks were all running big sponge filters only, individually heated (store was actually quite cold) and none were drilled for even water change purposes.

Unfortunately they had only 1 tank that had anything I was looking for and I didn't like any of them. They did have a bunch of stuff I never see at other stores though, some was common stuff even though like pygmy cories, rummy nose and ember tetras. Others were hill stream loaches, spotted hoplo catfish (considering!), checkerboard sand loach and mustard spot pleos among other things. They had salty fish I'd never seen before either including some large eels. Most of the salty stuff was in bigger tanks, not much bigger though.

Prices were about the same as other places, only a few prices were better than others. One price stood out clearly though. They had young, maybe 1.5-2", mbunas for $4! Never ever have I seen such low priced mbuna in a store.

It was a unique experience to say the least! And I may have found a bottom dweller I've never kept before so that's always exciting! (Especially cause I love bottom dwellers :) )

Just a small note that I setup a QT tank today. Just gonna steal some media from the other tanks when the time comes to put some critters in there. 3ft 30g bare bottom with semi- seeded sponge filter, it was in a tank with a few snails for awhile now.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
So now you "just" have to choose between all the colors. Plus mollies, I hear, eat some kinds of algae, bonus!
But do I really? I mean I could have one of every (local) color/type if I wanted to. :) I'm leaning towards Silver Lyretail Molly, Golddust Lyretail Molly and Red Moonlight Platy the most ATM. And I don't want to waste too much time in deciding because they didn't have these fish last time I went looking...

Yes they do which is wonderful, hopefully I will never need that service though. lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oooh, hoplos & dianema are also on my someday list! If you buy from this new shop, all I can say is QT! But I say that for everywhere...

Really, you're not in a hurry to stock this tank (are you?!? it's been a long term project so far), so wait for what you like best or order them. I'm not a super fan of the Easter egg basket of all possible colors but you have a kinda plan... but some varieties are very similar to others, at least it seems like that to me...from my casual uninformed looks.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
They had flagtails too. :) Oh I will QT anything at this point, although this store is the one I am least concerned about honestly. I might QT fish from different sources all in one tank though :eek:

It's only been running for almost 8 months with no fish, what's the rush? lol I am only gonna rush now cause I think the fish will not still be here when I "get around to it". I might buy some tomorrow actually, which might be too late already.

I am really liking the spotted hoplo. I am thinking only 1 though. I think the tank is too small for a group? Can't find any info on whether the amanos would be in any danger but I think they are big enough to be safe. I know hoplos are peaceful but a catfish is a catfish and if it fits...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
How cute! Looks like they like cool liquid rock water though and very hard to find. I try not to play on sites such as plantcatfish cause I find ALL kinds of things I want but can't have/get. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store