58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
How about a small pump for the sump? I have 1 that I used for a small fountain a couple houses ago. I tried it in a tank with a sponge tied on to keep "stuff" out especially sand substrate, not a success. But in a sump with just fine crudlies, maybe. That's why I'll never have very low tanks of any kind again.

Red swirly holiday mulm? Sounds festive; interesting & yucky both.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I need to think about a better way to flush the sump.
Use a second pump to empty it, or use a valve to redirect the existing pump output to a drain pipe.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
(swore I replied to this, I know I typed it lol) That is the plan, second pump or tee off the existing one. Leaning towards second pump that is more equipped to handle semi-solids and keep the wear and tear off the main pump.

No tank pictures yet. Took more than a day to clear up and now the last amano dropped her babies so there are babies floating everywhere. But speaking of her. A couple days ago I noticed one of my very heavily berried amanos had a wedge like split in the top of her head/torso area, the area where they crack open when they molt and where the RCS white line in occurring. Knowing they molt right after releasing their young I figured a baby drop was coming. And all is good cause I found a new molt and her without eggs looking all shiny and new. Hopefully she will be berried again in the next day or two to reassure me of the health of this tank.

Anyway, stepping back to the red swirly stuff. Wish I got a video of it cause you can't tell that it is hovering just above the box. Like perfectly even over it and not drifting away at all. WEIRD!
IMG_3285.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG
IMG_3284.JPG

Got pictures of the female RCS that I believe recently molted in this tank. The amano in the pictures is smallest male (out of all 2 of them lol). Pictures aren't very good, I was in a hurry and anything not right at the front of the tank is extremely hard to get in focus.
IMG_3287.JPG
IMG_3289.JPG

That's it for now. :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I found the RCS molt! So that's a good start.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I just realized your in Central Jersey... How far are you from Piscataway? That's typically as far south as I go since I work there =) I know someone already suggested NJAGC you don't have to attend meetings but we do recommend our community to be active in our private forum. I'm anti-social with the best of them but I do enjoy our merry band of misfits. We do have a few DIY'ers too which is always fun to follow. One of the meetings this year is for an acrylic tank build which should be interesting. Give us a shot and if they disappoint I'll give you a refund in cyrpts =)

Enough promoting I have a few C. spiralis from a pot I recently redid if your in the area. BTW Love the tank but I think the large crypt species you have will be a challenge when completely mature.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, there you go Jen, a built in club with JAY973 as sponsor. I hope you live close enough! My club is awesome, I highly encourage you to go if you can...at least sometimes. You can't beat JAY's crypt refund policy, lol.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I can vouch for them all being good folks too.

Perhaps a group road trip to Rachel's in the future would help to sway you?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Never saw notifications for these posts, sorry.

I just realized your in Central Jersey... How far are you from Piscataway? That's typically as far south as I go since I work there =) I know someone already suggested NJAGC you don't have to attend meetings but we do recommend our community to be active in our private forum. I'm anti-social with the best of them but I do enjoy our merry band of misfits. We do have a few DIY'ers too which is always fun to follow. One of the meetings this year is for an acrylic tank build which should be interesting. Give us a shot and if they disappoint I'll give you a refund in cyrpts =)

Enough promoting I have a few C. spiralis from a pot I recently redid if your in the area. BTW Love the tank but I think the large crypt species you have will be a challenge when completely mature.
Piscataway is as far SOUTH as you go? lol I'm about 45 mins south of Piscataway. NJAGC looks like a great club and I'm so lucky to have so many clubs to choose from in my "area" (within 1.5 hrs anyways) but at this time I still don't feel like clubs are a good fit for me. You're crypt refund sure is inciting though! lol

Yeah the Usteriana could be trouble, it's already sending runners all over the place. It's by far the hardiest so far (nearly no melt ever or algae) which just means it's gonna be a monster lol. This is the biggest tank it will ever see in my house so it'll have to do. (The 72g is coming down soon cause people want to have a normal living room, whatever that means!)

Well, there you go Jen, a built in club with JAY973 as sponsor. I hope you live close enough! My club is awesome, I highly encourage you to go if you can...at least sometimes. You can't beat JAY's crypt refund policy, lol.
I can vouch for them all being good folks too.

Perhaps a group road trip to Rachel's in the future would help to sway you?
Excellent points! I do consider joining a club from time to time so I'll keep considering it but that's all I can promise. ;)

Onto what brought me here! As of today, maybe yesterday, I have successful breeding (release of shrimplets) of RCS in this tank. And all 4 RCS are still alive here. Also want to note I have not fed this tank once since adding the RCS and even before that too. I note this not only for the obvious reasons but also because the snail population is ridiculous! The whole "large snail populations are a sign of over feeding" is not holding true here, not at all. And I am pretty good about removing any dying leaves and keeping the tank "clean" so they obviously don't need much to thrive. So you want to see my clean tank?

IMG_3304.JPG

What not clean enough for you!? ;) Yeah I left the glass algae this past week cause I knew the baby shrimp were coming and I like to give them some extra chow. Even if they don't eat algae as newborns I feel the bio-film gets scrapped off as well. But you can see that the balansae is all but gone after that weird melting episode, which stopped right after my last post. I think I have some ideas on why that happened too. 1- more plant growth needs more nutrients and I was dosing such a small amount to start with that maybe I hit a critical point and the plants started to suffer. 2- snail eggs! I was removing whatever globs I saw but there were a lot.

And here is a shot to show the snails. It actually looks like the population has gone down a bit in the past couple weeks, thank goodness!
IMG_3306.JPG

Highlights for this chapter!
  • Not signing up for a club ATM but perhaps in the future.
  • Usteriana could pose a problem in the future but I'm keeping it for now
  • Successful RCS breeding in this tank (now to figure out the other tank)
  • No food in almost 2 months, shrimp are fine and snails still breeding away
  • Melting stopped but left my balansae pretty bare
  • Not mentioned above but I am now dosing about 4.5ml of metricide

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, Jen, my husband razor blades our tank if anyone does, so I'm good with your lack of scraping. Your crypts look very happy. I have a very, very slow growing balansae, it may just be 1 of "those" crypts. I still like it! I was jealous of your Usteriana, but not if it's out of control happy, lol.

What is the plant mass on the right side of the first pic? Looks like a ball of confusion that needs taming...

No need to join a club, just go once on a road trip to check it out, sometime in the future. Maybe ask JAY973 when they're having a cool interesting topic worth the drive.

I'm glad your shrimp are finally happy! Of course, the glass crud feeds both snails & shrimp...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store