58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
So I went today and bought the only ones I have never seen locally before, 4 male golddust lyretail molly, although they were labeled red panda and priced more than all the rest. They only had 4 males and 2 females, I went in with the thought that if they had a proper ratio of males and females I would go co-ed. The hoplo catfish I want would most likely eat any fry (hybrid or not) in the tank and IF I want to breed them I would be able to separately...but that didn't happen. I will check back next week to see if they get more females but it's 8 nothing.

Now the kicker, I bought them at Petsmart! :eek: This Petsmart is exceptionally better than any other pet-whatever around here and better than some dedicated fish stores even and they had what I wanted which is even something I've never seen at any other store so they win!

Fish look super healthy, fat and active. Still into QT they go though. :) 2 of them have extra long tails and I love them! I will try pictures later, no need to stress them now.

I have at least 1 of the original momma Sakura berried and a couple of the offspring are saddled. This happened right after a WC and a feeding so I'll keep doing that lol.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Mollies ate well last night and seem less skittish with the tank light on which I found surprising but understandable. This morning 3 were out hanging together and 1 was hiding in a cave (lights off at this point) so my thought of course was "what's wrong with that guy?". I observed for awhile, no change. Wanted to get a better look so turned the lights on and fed them. Cave dweller didn't come out till I dropped food right in front of the cave. Then, it was easy to see the problem.....as he chased everyone away from "his" food! He might be the smallest one but he IS alpha and that is HIS cave. lol Since I want to keep stress as low as possible though I am gonna add more line of sight breaks cause even when the food is all gone he is rather relentless. Did I buy mollies or cichlids? lol

I've confirmed that only one of the original Sakura girls is berried but I think an offspring might be berried. BTW none of the offspring are very red at all, definitely RCS grade. Not exactly sure when I'd be able to tell grade (age wise) but I think were past that point if they are breeding. But I think there are more than realized. I will be trapping them this week, to move them back to the 29g so I will get a better idea then.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
lol Or it's a female! UGH. I told him there was a female in there and he exchanged one but obviously the wrong one. I did check the box/bag after he got all 4 but they were freaking out and I must have overlooked her. Hmm, what to do now?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well...breed them? Or fingers crossed, you're wrong on the sexing thing...Poor female if that's what "she" turns out to be. You know she'll be hounded if that's true, 3:1, ouch. Hiding females? Too long since I kept livebearers, lol.

What's the PetSmart return policy on "I don't like the sexes you sold me"? They're often pretty good for the most part...but this is kinda different...it doesn't ever hurt to ask, especially if you ask nicely...or beg, ha!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
She is definitely a female. Petsmart has like a 14 day policy so tomorrow when the next shipment comes in I am hoping there will be more to choose from and I can just add to the females. If not then I will discuss a return or exchange.

These guys (and 1 gal) are looking really good though. Almost don't want to put the next batch of fish in with them just in case but what would I do with them after only a week. :/ Really wanna get a Hoplo cat too before they are gone but I'm just gonna hold out on that and keep my fingers crossed cause anything from that store is definitely getting a personal QT session.

I was planning to trap the RCS this week to move them back to the 29g but we had a death in the family and I have only been home a few hrs everyday, not even sleeping here. So nothing has happened, as I like to be near the tank when I have a trap in there, just in case. Right now the males are doing their "I can smell a female" dance around the tank so that makes me happy. And I'd like to better convey the milestone I reached. I have never had any shrimp breed and then have their offspring start breeding too. Doesn't seem like much I know but if you knew what I went through you'd understand what a big deal it is for me.

Speaking of big deals (to me) I am SO pleased with the low maintenance, great plant growth and lack of algae in this tank. This is quickly becoming my favorite tank ever. Once I get some fish in there I think I'll love it even more. ;)

So Mollies are jumpers huh? I was planning to build a canopy for this tank at some point but I don't quite have that in my current timeline. Why is it so hard and expensive to get glass tops for this size (40 breeder)!? One of these days I'll put in a big enough cut glass order at glasscages.com to make it worth the $35 delivery fee and the drive to pick them up at the delivery point....one day.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Please just do what you need to, the fish & shrimp can wait.

I had a glass top made at a local glass/window/windshield co. several years ago for custom tank. They were very happy to have a "different" order & were very reasonable cost-wise (way less than $35). Call around when you get time. & tell them exactly what you want, glass thickness & dimensions to maybe 1/16" or less. My guys were great! They actually may have been part of a chain (National?) but it only took them a couple days as I recall.

I don't know if mollies are "jumpers" but any fish might. Better safe than sorry!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you.

I have called all the local glass-anything shops (even long shot places) I could find. They all want way too much, averages about $8 a sqft. I was looking for all sorts of pieces but the tops for a 40 breeder were like $50-70 just for 2 pieces of glass. Everyone says glass is cheap but not at the dozen or so places I called. Now that was a couple years ago now but I doubt the prices have gone down lol.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, mine was maybe 7+ years ago, things change. Have you asked at the box marts? They sell the freaking things! 3ft tops should be available! Ugh! (rant-ish). $8 x 6sqft = $48? Might not be what I paid but better than $35 shipping plus "custom" glass. Have you scoped out Home Depot/Lowes? You might have to buy/make your own hinges but still... Ace/TrueValue Hardware?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Went to a box mart today for more females actually and passed a home depot on the way and grabbed a 36x18x1/8 sheet of glass. I have seen these before but with having never cut glass and the fact that I only need to shave a little off the end (which I understand is harder) I have avoided it. But if I mess it up it is only an $11 mistake, as long as I wear my safety equipment. ;)

I called ahead to make sure they got some females in and she said they had at least 3 for sure. Well only 1 is for sure and 1 is a probably (only got 2). Having literally just been dumped from the bag they all had their bottom fins pulled in tight making sexing difficult. But the one is quite pregnant so I'm pretty sure she is a she! So I will check next week again for females but in the mean time I have divided the tank and put the prego one in a birthing box for the moment. Maybe she will make more females for me! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store