Can someone please help me identify what's wrong with my neon tetra?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Nice start! Although I don't see any fish in your pic, lol. Is that Eco Complete or Florite black substrate? I like a dark bottom...& black or dark background will make your fish & plants "pop" & hide equipment. You might lift up your dwarf sags a little, they seem planted a bit too deep. You want the "crown" (where leaves & roots meet) to be an ever so little bit above the substrate.

If you only EVER want to have neons & no other fish, I'd say you could, eventually, have say, 12 neons total. But, if you're lusting after a betta, or cherry shrimp, or whatever, in the long term then, no, not so many.

But you need to see what's happening with the "fat" neon & get your nitrites to zero before you add anything more. Patience is the hardest part of our hobby but often the most important. WAIT!

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
Nice start! Although I don't see any fish in your pic, lol. Is that Eco Complete or Florite black substrate? I like a dark bottom...& black or dark background will make your fish & plants "pop" & hide equipment. You might lift up your dwarf sags a little, they seem planted a bit too deep. You want the "crown" (where leaves & roots meet) to be an ever so little bit above the substrate.

If you only EVER want to have neons & no other fish, I'd say you could, eventually, have say, 12 neons total. But, if you're lusting after a betta, or cherry shrimp, or whatever, in the long term then, no, not so many.

But you need to see what's happening with the "fat" neon & get your nitrites to zero before you add anything more. Patience is the hardest part of our hobby but often the most important. WAIT!
I actually had a couple ghost shrimp in there, but the bigger one, who was almost 1" long, grabbed a chunk out of one of my neons :(. I had 6 to begin with. So, I will stick with just tetras. I do have another tank, that houses my betta,Bubblepop.

The susbtrate is ecocomplete, I didnt like flourite too much because it needed to be rinsed for a long time. I will adjust the DS. Btw, do you think the "fat" one has the swim bladder disease? or just constipated?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure if it's constipated or has internal parasites, but as I said, WAIT to see what is going on before adding more fish. I'd wait a month or 2 without any deaths or other issues. Water changes can work miracles, not a big deal in a 9g tank, do it often (it's good exercise too, lol).

I've never kept ghost shrimp, only the much smaller cherries, but I've heard stories. Apparently there are several species of "ghost" shrimp & behaviors. Amano shrimp are supposed to be mellow but don't breed in freshwater (they need a saltwater phase)...not that that's all bad...Part of what I liked about cherry shrimp is they're easy to breed & every fish can eat tiny shrimplets & a few can hide in plants & décor.

But I think we're getting ahead of your "fat neon" issue...really, wait, do the easy treatments & more if needed.

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
I'm not sure if it's constipated or has internal parasites, but as I said, WAIT to see what is going on before adding more fish. I'd wait a month or 2 without any deaths or other issues. Water changes can work miracles, not a big deal in a 9g tank, do it often (it's good exercise too, lol).

I've never kept ghost shrimp, only the much smaller cherries, but I've heard stories. Apparently there are several species of "ghost" shrimp & behaviors. Amano shrimp are supposed to be mellow but don't breed in freshwater (they need a saltwater phase)...not that that's all bad...Part of what I liked about cherry shrimp is they're easy to breed & every fish can eat tiny shrimplets & a few can hide in plants & décor.

But I think we're getting ahead of your "fat neon" issue...really, wait, do the easy treatments & more if needed.
Absolutely, I will keep an eye on her. Feels like there is something in her bloat, may be uneaten food. I will post updates. Thanks for all your help, fishorama. :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I just want you to see that, although it seems like it's mostly just you & I "talking", many more people have viewed your thread & might benefit from your questions &/or issues. They may have different ideas as to what might help you than I've suggested. It's good to keep an open mind to other opinions...& what may or may not have worked in your, or their, particular case. This is how we all learn, I wish I'd have had the internet & AC back when I started in the hobby.

Please do keep us updated on what you do & how it works out, we want to know! Good luck!

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
I just want you to see that, although it seems like it's mostly just you & I "talking", many more people have viewed your thread & might benefit from your questions &/or issues. They may have different ideas as to what might help you than I've suggested. It's good to keep an open mind to other opinions...& what may or may not have worked in your, or their, particular case. This is how we all learn, I wish I'd have had the internet & AC back when I started in the hobby.

Please do keep us updated on what you do & how it works out, we want to know! Good luck!
Hi fishorama,

As promised, I am back with an update, the "fat" tetra is still swollen. Infact, she looks worse today. :( I am not feeding them and am going to do a water changes again. I can see something in the swollen part of her belly. Dont know what it is. I am at my wits end.

IMG_20171220_171906.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd try the Epsom salts, it's quite safe...did you order parasite flakes? She looks uncomfortably fat still. Flubendazole, or if she's eating, fenbendazole, would be my drugs of choice.

Do you ever see red worms protruding from her vent (poop chute opening). Really, if that was her issue, her abdomen would look reddish too. Have you seen her poo? I know it's hard to see.

You said you "had" 6 neons...what happened to the "other 1" ? Do you remember any signs beyond a ghost shrimp nipped fin? How long ago did it die? Shrimp eat dead or dying fish.

I know this is difficult to watch & there may be nothing you can do. I'm leaning toward internal parasites or protozoans. Farmed fish, like neons & many fish, can have issues.

What temp is your tank? Neons like lower 70's...but that's not her problem...but can add stress to sick fish.

I'm sorry I don't have better advice...

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
I'd try the Epsom salts, it's quite safe...did you order parasite flakes? She looks uncomfortably fat still. Flubendazole, or if she's eating, fenbendazole, would be my drugs of choice.

Do you ever see red worms protruding from her vent (poop chute opening). Really, if that was her issue, her abdomen would look reddish too. Have you seen her poo? I know it's hard to see.

You said you "had" 6 neons...what happened to the "other 1" ? Do you remember any signs beyond a ghost shrimp nipped fin? How long ago did it die? Shrimp eat dead or dying fish.

I know this is difficult to watch & there may be nothing you can do. I'm leaning toward internal parasites or protozoans. Farmed fish, like neons & many fish, can have issues.

What temp is your tank? Neons like lower 70's...but that's not her problem...but can add stress to sick fish.

Hey fishorama,

I gave her an epsom bath today and also added it to the tank. No changes yet. Havent seen her poop/worms.

The ghost shrimp killed the fish for sure. It didnt just nip, it literally took a chunk out of her tail. She could barely maintain balance after that and ended up dying.

My tank temp is mid 70s. I'm trying but I think I dont have the skills necessary to look after such a delicate fish. :(

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017

Update 2: Fish is back to normal size. I think the epsom salt helped. Thanks, fishorama!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store