40 Gallon redone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I concur with the Harlequin recommendations. You really cannot go wrong with these great fish and they do color up nicely as adults.
Silvertips are also beautiful but as mentioned, they are quite aggressive.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I concur with the Harlequin recommendations. You really cannot go wrong with these great fish and they do color up nicely as adults.
Silvertips are also beautiful but as mentioned, they are quite aggressive.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I thought you were talking about both Harleys & embers. As to how many, it kind of depends on what else beside corys you might want. At least 12...

I've been trying to remember what I kept with threadfins beside kuhlis. Their mouths are very small & need tiny food. The fins are tempting to any fish that might be nippy, including most tetras. I don't know that cichlids would work with them either, I don't think I'd risk it.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I think i might avoid tetras for now, it seems like a lot of them are just really unpredictable and i just want fish who will be nice to each other. So the harlequins are for sure

I'm kinda interested in the rainbow idea though, But i am worried about whether they'd be hard to keep alive or not...

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Ok actually, i think i might want to have just a large school of rasboras, 8 cories, and a pair of apistos. There's less potential conflict that way and i think they'd all look stunning in here.

I'll have to see what my lfs has in stock to determine which specific species of apisto i could even get and then i'd run that by you guys when i figure out my options. Unless apistos might cause some kind of unforseen issue?

How many harlequins could live comfortably in here? I'm thinking around 20 or so.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They're not super difficult (beside tiny food) but I always slow acclimate fish. I think people may try to keep them with too rowdy or aggressive fish. They do best with say, 3 males & maybe 5 females. They're not truly schooling but need a mix of sexes so the males have someone to show off for & compete with in their very interesting, mellow way. I think they'd like your tank's plants & more subdued lighting would be nice for them. As I recall there are 2 regional color variations, maybe yellow or pink.

There are other small rainbows but I haven't kept them. Pseudomugil furcata & p. gertrudidae are ones I've seen that I liked. Gertrude's might be too small...

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a loach nut, lol. So with your corys I'm going to suggest kuhlis, striped for my preference. OR just more corys. Pygmy corys are more midwater fish & adorable, but maybe instead of threadfins (at least at first). You want a nicely balanced tank without cramming in as many fish as possible.

Think hard & research!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oops, I see you were posting while I was slowly typing.

That last idea of a big bunch or harlequins (15?), corys (8?) & a pair of apistos sounds wonderful. The sex color differences in apistos is a bonus. Females are usually yellow for the most part, males not. I would go with agassizii over cacatuoides of the 2 commonly available species I've kept. Double red, triple red, all are pretty, you don't need the $60 super reds.

You will want to add a couple hiding/breeding spots of wood or rocks aimed so there is some privacy for the pair. Don't be surprised if the young female is ready to breed before the larger male, he might need a hiding place too, lol. Girls are tough stuff!

Do you have a club close to you? There's probably an apisto breeder not far. I think you're near Chicago, a big auction could be fun, in a slightly dangerous way (evil laugh). I think that's where both species of my apistos came from. 1 was a bag of 6 fry (cacs) & a pair of aggies at another. I'm usually very restrained anymore buying fish but I did come home with killifish as a spur of the moment purchase. Keep a tight grip on your wallet & know what you might want ahead of time.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I agree with the agassizii, those fish are absolutely gorgeous and i melt everytime i see them at my lfs! Are all the ones labelled agassizii basically the same fish but different color morphs? I'll still see what my lfs has in stock, but a show does sound like a lot of fun anyway. I missed the one that was near me last year and really hope to go to one this time around. I wish i could know what was coming up though, that'd be nice.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There are slight color "improvements" but the wild type is also pretty, if harder to find. Double red means 2 fins (tail, anal or dorsal, IDR) have more red than wilds; triple, all 3 fins. But really, all are pretty. Just get a pair, my 6 fry turned into a pair after the weak males & "other females" were killed off. Learn from my experience, it wasn't fun to watch, but I didn't have other options at that time.

& don't forget the male will need some hiding spots until he's up to breeding...they seem to take some time, females were ready at half an inch or so, males an inch+ (kinda like people, lol).

Take your smart phone to auctions (if you have 1, I don't, gasp!). Have an idea of the price of fish in LFS, people get carried away at auctions, often! If you only want "bargains", go later in the day. Mostly it'll be easy to breed fish, easy plants etc, but you can find some bargains & it's fun too. Often there vendors too, a cool experience. You can usually see what's available ahead of time, write down "lot numbers" that interest you & your max price. Keep in mind the fish may be stressed in bags that are picked up many times & at "room" temp too.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Alright, so i exchanged the skirts and got some rasboras and i'm already in love! So active and cute! I could only get 9 though because i didn't realize i didn't bring enough money for 15, so i'm going back to get more this weekend. How many would you say i could put in a 40 gallon comfortably?

Thank you for the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store