40 Gallon redone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
It was just a thought, i'm perfectly fine with just the harlequins though, they're all very fun active little fish. Definitely going to wait a little while before thinking of getting more fish now. They should be ok in just a group of 7 for now, assuming no more die, right?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, 6 or 7 is fine, more is better! If the corys look better than harleys, when it's time to restock your QT, get them instead...& wait...it's all about patience & good health! Good luck!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I'm down to 6 now, but these current 6 seem to be doing very well. It's been about a week since the last death. There's one with a weird fin, kind of looks look like he can't move it at all and it's all white, either the pectoral or pelvic fin i can't tell which. But he's still swimming normal and eating like the others.

After this we found a new fish store who's fish look a hundred times better and we might be buying from next time. I put an order in for more rasboras since they didn't have any, which might take a couple weeks (i have another tank i can use for quarantine when they get them in).

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Can you post a pic of the "weird fin" ?

I'm glad you found a new lfs, I think it's time...& I'm so happy you have another tank to QT them! That really is key to a healthy tank, you're getting there...don't worry yet.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Lucky for me a different lfs i went to was just throwing away all their old 20 gallon tanks since they got knew ones and we grabbed 2. After a good cleaning it was certainly a good find!

After watching more closely, it seems like he can move the fin but it still white unlike the others. it's very hard to get good pics of it though. I've also noticed that that fish has periods where he can't swim right, where he just kinda spasms and then does tumbles in the water. Looks like something with the swim bladder but then he goes right back to swimming normal after. Some sites say that this happens because they swallow too much air when eating but i'm not too sure?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not feeling happy about this weird rasbora, it sounds like more than "air gulping" to me...& that's not something I totally buy into with rasboras, goldies maybe...is the white at the fin/body juncture?

Cool about the free tanks! Bleach, rinse, maybe a wipe of rubbing alcohol & more rinsing.

I had a wonderful lfs when I lived in MA. Uncle Ned, his brother & the catfish/puffer guy were great! It was a mutually beneficial relationship. They stocked unusual fish & traded food for my plants & sometimes there was a free tank, etc, involved. I miss them...good fish talk too if they weren't busy. I don't have that here, sniff, but an awesome plant club now!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Oh, i guess the rasboras are already in, i put my order in just in time it seems haha. They look great now and i have a little bit more faith than my other lfs. The person helping us at this new place said he goes to the fish store i usually go to for their variety but also has to deal with sick fish from them all the time. Has to pump the poor things full of medication just to get them through quarantine.

But yeah i don't have a lot of faith in the rasboras i already have, some look fine but the ones that concerned me before are already starting to take a turn like the previous ones. Hopefully these new guys fare much better.

I hope to build a good relationship with this new lfs though, the owner is super nice. He already gave me a discount today because i said i only had 30 dollars on me for the fish so he took a few bucks off so that i had just enough for them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Discounts are nice but healthy fish are worth more! I'm hopeful for your "old" rasboras...but even more so for your newest 1s. Please keep us updated, fingers crossed!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Update on this tank, haven't lost a single fish from the new store! No signs of illness or anything. Out of the original rasboras 3 survived and are doing very well, so in total there are 16 little guys.

I decided to get a dwarf gourami after all this, he's also doing good and doesn't seem to mind the other fish at all. For a while during the quarantine I was so worried that he'd not get along with everyone else, but he's proved me wrong!

I'm really content with the stock as is, but i was wondering if i should skip getting the apistos now that i have the gourami? Just wondering because i'm going to an aquatic show next month and will probably see some really nice ones there. If it won't work though that's ok.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store