“Cold water” el naturale rio parana biotope journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
So finally I think my lid is coming, I am very excited to get started. I am going out into the tundra today (it’s snowing outside) to get twigs. I am going to slowly add botanicals and then even get bryzoans and possibly freshwater sponge. I am planning on a stock of 4 apistogramma borellei 6 corydoryas palateus 10 eques tetra 10 bloodfin tetra 2 whiptail pleco 8 ghost shrimp and a trio of dusky millions fish I might have to take some artistic liberties with the leaves I am going to be having it so it warms in the summer with a heater and cools in the winter. It will be done in botanical style and come lightly planted. Mostly floaters but I might include stuff like cryptocoryne because swords are too high light or mabye vallisinera will post more later

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
No they can't. These fish are tropical except for the paleatus, dusky millions and bloodfin tetra which are subtropical.

Reactions: Sprinkle

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Apistogramma borelli can handle 68-78F (20-26C), so as long as tank is a comfy room temperature, they'd be good.
Screenshot_20201218-221151_Samsung Internet.jpg

Assuming eques tetra is referring to serpae, they can do 68-80F (20-28C)

Screenshot_20201218-221416_Samsung Internet.jpg

And presuming the whiptail is the fallax species, they are also able to do cold temps
Screenshot_20201218-221607_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ive asked Noah about his temperature before because he wanted to add the paleatus to an unheated tank and said his temps were low 70s. This is rather feasible for these fish.

And ghost shrimp can handle North American cold waters too.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
So.... low 70's as a minimum is about the definition of 'tropical temperatures'. I don't understand the argument.
Paleatus is a subtropical fish. He's mixing tropical and subtropical fish. That is not "All these fish can live temperate/ cold water btw", nor is it a "cold water" biotope. You can live in Florida and have an unheated tank with tropical fish, still doesn't make it anything else as tropical.

• Wow
Reactions: Sprinkle

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
So.... low 70's as a minimum is about the definition of 'tropical temperatures'. I don't understand the argument.
Paleatus is a subtropical fish. He's mixing tropical and subtropical fish. That is not "All these fish can live temperate/ cold water btw", nor is it a "cold water" biotope. You can live in Florida and have an unheated tank with tropical fish, still doesn't make it anything else as tropical.
I think its just a misunderstanding between terms, personally. What I think hes meaning is an unheated tank or low temp anyways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store