1” EBJD with 6” Severum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morley_24

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2021
Hi, new here so please forgive me if I’ve posted in the wrong spot.

I’ve recently got myself an electric blue Jack Dempsey delivered, 2 weeks ago, the problem I’ve got is he’s probably only roughly 1” in size so I’ve put him in this fry hatchery as I don’t have a grow out tank and the ad said he would be 2”... he definitely isn’t.

I have a 6-7” Severum, 7” Syno eupterus amongst a few smaller fish. Tank is 120g

My question is, is he going to be alright in here until he’s a bit larger? I don’t want to keep him in here if it’s going to stunt his growth and I also don’t want him to get bullied/out-competed for food by the larger fish.
Any advice is much appreciated! Attached an old picture of the tank and fry hatchery he’s in. (At the top of the tank, it’s an old photo there’s plants etc now and a few more hiding places)

925AB862-1D40-4BFF-AF11-7416FB328ED5.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome and that's a nice looking setup!

I think this is a try it and see situation. Maybe arrange the hardscape so the jack dempsey has places to retreat. The severum's mouths aren't big enough to eat the EBJD, but that's not to say they can't be feisty buggers.

I keep a severum in with an oscar. They're both 8yrs old have have been together since day 1. The sev shoves the oscar around most of the time but it doesn't bother the O in the least. The O still gets the food first.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Morley_24

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2021

I think this is a try it and see situation. Maybe arrange the hardscape so the jack dempsey has places to retreat. The severum's mouths aren't big enough to eat the EBJD, but that's not to say they can't be feisty buggers.

I keep a severum in with an oscar. They're both 8yrs old have have been together since day 1. The sev shoves the oscar around most of the time but it doesn't bother the O in the least. The O still gets the food first.
Thank you very much!

I moved some hard scrape around and placed a few larger plants around so there are a few more hiding spots now. I also have a much larger piece of wood to go in, currently soaking until it sinks.

My 2 Severums get on, little bit of chasing every now and then but quite often see them swimming together so I’m hoping they’ll leave the Dempsey alone.
Would you recommend letting the ebjd out now or wait a few weeks for it to get a little larger? I just don’t know if he’ll get much larger stuck in that tiny hatchery!
He eats like a horse for his size and always comes to the top at feeding times so I’m sure feeding won’t be an issue.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you just got the EBJD and he's doing well in that breeder box, eating, has good color, etc. I'd keep him in there for awhile longer for observation.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd be worried the syno cat could eat the dempsey...I haven't kept synos but they have big enough mouths. 7 inch vs 1 inch...not a good (safe) size differential. I'd pick either the cat or the dempsey & rehome the other.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I'd be worried the syno cat could eat the dempsey...I haven't kept synos but they have big enough mouths. 7 inch vs 1 inch...not a good (safe) size differential. I'd pick either the cat or the dempsey & rehome the other.
+1. Synodontis typically have smaller mouths than similar-sized pimelodids and other predatory cats, say as compared to a 7" to 8" four-lined pictus, and they aren't stalkers or active hunters as such. They pretty much just suck up anything in their path, including small enough fish. That said, I'm not sure due to the size difference that I would release the EBJD until it has grown a bit. Better safe than sorry. If you keep him in the breeder as he grows out I'd say his growth will likely be stunted severely. In fact, I'm sure it would be. I suggest getting a 20 gallon tank to allow the EBJD to grow out a bit. That will allow him to grow to 3" or so when he can be safely added.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Stunting is a possibility I hadn't considered but should have, good thought WYite. We got 2 small JDs years ago & 1 went missing. We thought it got eaten but he'd jumped into the (big) filter box & lived there until the next (long while) filter cleaning. We were amazed he could survive but definitely stunted, less than half the size of the other JD. Poor fish.

I'm not sure the size of a breeder net but our filter was an old DynaFlo (for those who remember them). I'd guess the size as 8 x 3 x 5 inches.

You might consider using a strong plastic tote as a temporary "tank" with a sponge filter or small HOB. With lots of water changes & feeding the JD might grow pretty fast...but it might take a few months or so. You could then use the tote for storage or an emergency hospital tank.

Morley_24

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2021
I just don’t have the room for another tank, the only place is my garage which isn’t insulated and we’re in the middle of winter, the heaters will be working overtime
I’ve had the cat for around 4 years now and I’ve had him with some fairly small fish before including a geo that was probably only 1.5” when I got it and it never got bothered at all, it’s never eaten another fish.
the breeder box he’s in is 15cmx10x10 so it’s tiny, need him out of there ASAP I think

Riazali

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2021
www.bestfishkeeping.com
Hi, new here so please forgive me if I’ve posted in the wrong spot.

I’ve recently got myself an electric blue Jack Dempsey delivered, 2 weeks ago, the problem I’ve got is he’s probably only roughly 1” in size so I’ve put him in this fry hatchery as I don’t have a grow out tank and the ad said he would be 2”... he definitely isn’t.

I have a 6-7” Severum, 7” Syno eupterus amongst a few smaller fish. Tank is 120g

My question is, is he going to be alright in here until he’s a bit larger? I don’t want to keep him in here if it’s going to stunt his growth and I also don’t want him to get bullied/out-competed for food by the larger fish.
Any advice is much appreciated! Attached an old picture of the tank and fry hatchery he’s in. (At the top of the tank, it’s an old photo there’s plants etc now and a few more hiding places)

View attachment 228617

If you just got the EBJD and he's doing well in that breeder box, eating, has good color, etc. I'd keep him in there for awhile longer for observation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store