1.5 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish-Head Aric

Fish-Head Aric
Jul 8, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
groups.msn.com
WinterWind said:
Either two ADF's or a single male betta. I'm not sure guppies or tetras would do very well it a 1.5 gallon tank. ADF's are small and don't need very large spaces, so a 1.5 gallon is ideal. And a betta would be quite happy in a 1.5 gallon compared to a cup or small bowl.
When I was around 11 years old I kept guppies in a gallon-sized mayonnaise jar changed over to fish-keeping. They thrived and bred, and it was running for well over a year.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
keeping a fish alive for a year does not really prove that it was healthy or happy, unfortunately many people think that is the case :OT:

fishdude92

AC Members
Jun 27, 2005
You could try some heterandria formosa. You could probably fit about 5-10 of these guys in that tank only. They only grow to aquat couple centimeters.

fishdude92

AC Members
Jun 27, 2005
You could try some heterandria formosa. You could probably fit about 5-10 of these guys in that tank only. They only grow to about couple centimeters.

Ramirezi

Punish the Deed not the Breed
Apr 26, 2005
Florida
WinterWind said:
Either two ADF's or a single male betta. I'm not sure guppies or tetras would do very well it a 1.5 gallon tank. ADF's are small and don't need very large spaces, so a 1.5 gallon is ideal. And a betta would be quite happy in a 1.5 gallon compared to a cup or small bowl.
dont tetras need warmer water? a heater would be hard to find for a 1.5 gal. and from experience, it's hard to maintain the temp in a small tank.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Ideally a betta would have warmer water too, but I think they tolerate a wider range of temps. better than tetras. However, they do sell tiny heater for small tanks, actually bought one myself from www.drsfostersmith.com

Besides a 1.5 gallon tank is too small to keep any tetras happy :sad:

Ramirezi

Punish the Deed not the Breed
Apr 26, 2005
Florida
african dwarf frog.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
OK, I am an advocate for only one fish that will thrive in a tank this small and do very well for people
The fish I recommend is the Heterandria formosa, aka the least killie or dwarf live bearer. This guys are hard to come by, these are usually a special order from your pet shop but they are great fish.
The males reach about 1/4 of an inch long at full adult hood and the females are larger at an inch. They are very peaceful fish and thrive in tiny tanks. I own a small colony right now in my 5 gallon. I plan on getting more soon for an outdoor container. But they do well having plants like hornwort floating on the top of the tank and they eat crushed fish flakes. Many breeders keep them in 1 gallon pickle jars and they thrive in them. Since they are native to the southern US, they do not require a heater for their tank. I would say 5 would be perfect for this size tank.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
Well, if you get like a 5 gallon tank and keep some livebearers like mollies in it, you can keep the fry in there. Fry are fun fun fun for everyone! :D

You could also keep ghost shrimp! those are fun too!

I'm not 100% sure, but you might be able to pull off keeping a fiddler crab. Im not sure about the crab, correct me if im wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store