10 Gallon Stocking Ideas List - suggestions, ideas, opinions wanted!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
Is it alright if I add a stock list? I would like to put in an idea.

Neon tetra x 8 and African dwarf frog x 2.

I would like to add that the male guppies you chose as companions for the frogs might not be suitable because they compete a little much for food. There are ways to get around this however, by using tweezers to feed foods to frogs. I recommend adding this tip (about the tweezers) to that stocking list.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Just a general comment... not sure why you are listing shrimp as "3" or "5"- shrimp add virtually nothing to the bioload of a tank. A score of Palaemonetes ghost shrimp probably produce less waste than one guppy.

Otherwise some good suggestions.
Probably true. I hadn't really thought about that. I'll change it to 3-5 shrimp.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Dwarf Crays- such as those in the Cambarellus genus won't eat adult shrimp... now they might eat the occasional juvenile shrimp- but they don't eat adult shrimp.

They're fairly quarellsome and so you'll need to make sure you spread food out- or the crays would dominate the food... but no reason not to keep dwarf crays with dwarf shrimp.
Thanks for the info! I have NO experience with dwarf crays.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I will second that. I have a dwarf cray in my invert tank, the adults are way too fast for her to catch.
Thanks for the info! Good to know. I want one of the tanks to be an Invert Mania tank, but I didn't know if dwarf crays would be cool with that.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I wouldn't put sidthimunki loaches, kuhlis or praecox rainbows in a 10g, more suited to a 20g long.
Thanks for your opinion.
I'm tempted to agree on the praecoxs. I've never seen an adult one up close, but I know they are reasonably deep for their length.
Seems like I'm getting outvoted on the loaches. I'm still going to ask a few more pros though. I would think the sids might be too large, but the kuhlis? I have 9 adults, and they are really small. All length, no depth.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Is it alright if I add a stock list? I would like to put in an idea.

Neon tetra x 8 and African dwarf frog x 2.

I would like to add that the male guppies you chose as companions for the frogs might not be suitable because they compete a little much for food. There are ways to get around this however, by using tweezers to feed foods to frogs. I recommend adding this tip (about the tweezers) to that stocking list.
That is a stock good idea, Froglover!
Also, a good tip on feeding. You could also use a pipette to suck up stuff, and squirt it in their faces.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks for your opinion.
I'm tempted to agree on the praecoxs. I've never seen an adult one up close, but I know they are reasonably deep for their length.
Seems like I'm getting outvoted on the loaches. I'm still going to ask a few more pros though. I would think the sids might be too large, but the kuhlis? I have 9 adults, and they are really small. All length, no depth.
It's not so much their size, rather their activity. I have 6 kuhlis in a 20g long & will be moving them to a 4 ft tank soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store