10 Gallon Stocking Ideas List - suggestions, ideas, opinions wanted!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
LOL, I forgot about the rapid breeding of the RCS, I thought you were talking about maximum capacity of the tank.

I also wanted to add that Praecox Rainbows are deeper-bodied fish thus giving more waste than other Rainbowfish such as Threadfin Rainbowfish or Pseudomogils sp.. It's also their activity that needs to be though of. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 30" in length. I've seen 6 of them in a 10G at my LFS and they swim quickly and don't have the big enough tank to swim away.

Danios and fish with similar activity should also be put in tanks at least24" tanks, but 30" in length would be better, but people keep them in a 10G which isn't that good. In a bigger tank, you'd see their swimming abilities and you can have more of them.

Im not sure on the Dwarf Loaches though, but I think a minimum size should be at least 20 gallon since they are in the bigger side (compared to Habrosus Cories) and they need to be in school. I'd say at least a 20G. A long tank would be beneficial.

You're doing great on your stocking ideas though. They help alot. Also, you should try sorting them from 1-5 so it would be easier to view.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
LOL, I forgot about the rapid breeding of the RCS, I thought you were talking about maximum capacity of the tank.

I also wanted to add that Praecox Rainbows are deeper-bodied fish thus giving more waste than other Rainbowfish such as Threadfin Rainbowfish or Pseudomogils sp.. It's also their activity that needs to be though of. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 30" in length. I've seen 6 of them in a 10G at my LFS and they swim quickly and don't have the big enough tank to swim away.

Danios and fish with similar activity should also be put in tanks at least24" tanks, but 30" in length would be better, but people keep them in a 10G which isn't that good. In a bigger tank, you'd see their swimming abilities and you can have more of them.

Im not sure on the Dwarf Loaches though, but I think a minimum size should be at least 20 gallon since they are in the bigger side (compared to Habrosus Cories) and they need to be in school. I'd say at least a 20G. A long tank would be beneficial.

You're doing great on your stocking ideas though. They help alot. Also, you should try sorting them from 1-5 so it would be easier to view.
Seems we have a consensus on the Praecox. Too much for a 10 gallon.

With the loaches, are you saying only the Sids are too large? I'm starting too lean on them being too large, but you'll have a tougher time convincing me on the kuhlis. I have 9 in a 20 long, and I could imagine have 6 in a 10 with no problem.

Also, I do plan on sorting it by difficult. Consider the the super-ultra-mega-beta version, lol. I'll probably work on this for another month or so before finalizing it.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i dont think i agree with number 32. 10g is pretty small for a group of rainbowfish.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Okay. So far the biggest issues have been the sid loaches and the rainbowfish.
So I'll nix the sids and the rainbows.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I believe that mouthbrooding bettas would be uncomfortable in a 10 gallon. Aside from that, any other wild bettas would work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store