125 gallon planted project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks! Some generic terms work for me, neons, guppies, bn, etc. But you have 2 more unusual cory species & apistos. I was just suggesting rather than learn the "so called" common names for those less common fish, just learn & use the latin. There can be some confusion over, say, peppered corys & "salt & pepper" corys but they're 2 different species with similar common names...

I wasn't trying to tick you off you know :) I like your fish & tank

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Thanks! Some generic terms work for me, neons, guppies, bn, etc. But you have 2 more unusual cory species & apistos. I was just suggesting rather than learn the "so called" common names for those less common fish, just learn & use the latin. There can be some confusion over, say, peppered corys & "salt & pepper" corys but they're 2 different species with similar common names...

I wasn't trying to tick you off you know :) I like your fish & tank
I apologize if my response came off as rather snappy. My sleep has been abysmal lately so I'm a bit crankier than usual.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Are you old enough to be cranky? ?

I stopped using common names for anything that isn't a staple in the hobby, simply to avoid confusion. It's actually surprising to me how many different common names are sometimes used in the hobby for the same fish. I see it all the time with African cichlids.

I think a lot of that "cranky" thing is going around actually. Between spring fever and the end being in site for all the pandemic restrictions with the vaccinations, a lot of people are really, really ready for nice weather and looking forward to getting out of the house. I'm usually as mellow as they come, but I've been edgy lately as well. That last blizzard just made it worse.

WYite

Last edited:
Reactions: dudley

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Are you old enough to be cranky? ?

I stopped using common names for anything that isn't a staple in the hobby, simply to avoid confusion. It's actually surprising to me how many different common names are sometimes used in the hobby for the same fish. I see it all the time with African cichlids.

I think a lot of that "cranky" thing is going around actually. Between spring fever and the end being in site for all the pandemic restrictions with the vaccinations, a lot of people are really, really ready for nice weather and looking forward to getting out of the house. I'm usually as mellow as they come, but I've been edgy lately as well. That last blizzard just made it worse.

WYite
I'm 25 so yeah I'd say so.

It's more of a specific issue with me though. I've always been plagued with sleeping issues and need a special kind of supplement (extra strength stuff basically) to really knock me out for the night. But I didn't order a new batch until it was way too late so I went a solid week without it. So for that amount of time I was living with half the amount of rest I should be getting.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I hear you on lack of sleep. I went many years thinking 4-6 hours was enough to function on. But I have to say I'm a much nicer person now that I get 7-8 most nights even if it's with an hour or 2 break after 4+ hours...Now instead of cranky I just seem...stupid or at least slow...I do have my crabby moments :oops: but not always from lack of sleep ;) sometimes it's lack of patience, etc.

& we've kind of derailed your thread again...that's how we do sometimes :) I think you're getting used to it & do it too now. It's all good! :cool:

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
This week something similar happened to me, I went 41 hours without sleep, I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday, it feels terrible, what helped me were the natural remedies. I had an orange leaf tea to season the meat (bad taste) and an hour later I was sleeping like a baby. This may sound like a joke, but hot coffee almost always helps me sleep, coffee makes me sleepy, it doesn't wake me up. Sorry, I also joined in derailing the thread ? .

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I'm 25 so yeah I'd say so.

It's more of a specific issue with me though. I've always been plagued with sleeping issues and need a special kind of supplement (extra strength stuff basically) to really knock me out for the night. But I didn't order a new batch until it was way too late so I went a solid week without it. So for that amount of time I was living with half the amount of rest I should be getting.
I have sleep apnia and always pull my face mask for my CPAP off in the night, so I get it.

Your tank is looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing your plants really start to fill in.

WYite

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I'm starting to understand the importance of scientific names. I've been delving more intricately into just what specific hatchet fish I have, and they are not Gasteropelecus sternicla as I initially thought. Apparently there are what seems to be 4-5 different species that all share the name of "common" and "silver" and image searching only makes things more confusing by mixing them up further.

Instead, I believe they are Thoracocharax Stellatus, commonly called silver (which is what they were sold as) or spotfin hatchet. I figured this out because recently, they've started to develop black coloration on their dorsal fins, something I've never seen in most images of hatchets in general, but turns out to be a signature of T. Stellatus.

Couldn't get good pics of my own because of lighting/movement/bad phone camera, but this is what they look like now.

Notably, some have started to show courtship behavior (swimming side by side in a kind of duet), and when they do almost their entire dorsal fin flushes black.

Reactions: Wyomingite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Pretty hatchet of whatever species you actually have...& spawning behaviors are always fun! That pic looks like a female even though I have no hatchet experience what so ever...We'll need some pics of your fish when you can...we'll wait...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store