15 gallon - Southeast Asian Biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010

I would be willing to bet it was their diet unless you are feeding them food loaded with calcium.
You're right, I haven't thought of that. I have a packet of food made specially for aquarium shrimp that I got with a nano set, would that work? I mean, shrimp diets need calcium for their exoskeleton right?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Very easy recipe... 1. Packaged baby food (6-8 oz) with highest calcium (veg medley had 6%). 2. 1 pouch unflavored gelatin (like Knox brand). 3. 2-4 calcium citrate pills, crushed into powder.

Mix all together, add a linch or two of fish food flakes or freeze dried krill (extra calcium!). Microwave for 1 min (or until just boiling). Spread onto plate or pie pan & refrigerate until firm. Cut into postage stamp-sized pieces. Store some in fridge & freeze the rest.

My mts & ramshorns (& fish) love this! It makes quite a bit, too. I'd throw one in after lights out for them to find. Your kuhlis may like it, too! :D

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
fishycat, is there no water in your mix? I make food for my discus, I might have to expand my repertoire.
I feed Ken's veggie stix with 16% calcium sometimes & keep a small amout of crushed coral in my filter.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Great tank, wonderful pics :)

When you need the heater again (mine are all out of the tank for now also, it's never cooler than 78 in the house) just use one of those cheapy extension cords (you can find them at the grocery store for like $2) and wrap the cord around a few times, secure with a tie or rubber band.

This will keep the cord short and out of your way, I usually put it on the floor behind the stand, but my stand is closed. Put your filter and lights on that, leave your heater on the main outlet since I don't think those extension cords are made for a lot of watts.

Voila :D Two extra outlets.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Oh well I'm just out of outlets (the original outlet => extension cord => 2 filters & 1 light) I just need the extra filter to take care of detritus for a month or so. Then I'll take it out and plug my heater in. But thanks anyway, I might use that advice another time :)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Might want to change from extension cord (3 outlets) to a cheap surge strip then. I've found them at the dollar store for very reasonable. Always good to have an extra outlet in case you need an extra filter for water polishing!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Nice setup! I had a kuhli once and he loooooved driftwood :)

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
fishycat, is there no water in your mix? I make food for my discus, I might have to expand my repertoire.
I feed Ken's veggie stix with 16% calcium sometimes & keep a small amout of crushed coral in my filter.
Well I did use about 2 tbsp water to help my calcium pills break down. Up to 4 tbsp water should be ok, but not really necessary. I got this recipe from the Invert section & tweaked it a teensy bit.

You can also grind up raw peeled shrimp or add fish paste (Japanese ingredient "surimi") to up the protein... I'd add that after heating/before spreading onto a plate.

Another option is to sprinkle gelatin over 4 tbsp water, let sit for 3 minutes, microwave until clear. Meanwhile mix baby food veg with puree'd shrimp (room temp-not too cold) & calcium. Stir in gelatin mix slowly to avoid air bubbles. Spread & chill.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Hm I'll try that recipe, sounds pretty simple. Well anyways, the tank is clearing up a lot, there's no more detritus on the decor, and only a bit in the water. I guess I'm gonna get some RCS in the next week or so. If not RCS, what other species would you guys recommend?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store