15 gallon - Southeast Asian Biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Thanks, fishorama!

Oh yes, my Vishous Valentine was a fighter (gargoyle book-end, btw)... miss him lots. :cry:

I had another picture of one of the habrosus resting on top of the moss rock, very picturesque. I couldn't find it, tho.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks everyone :D

All you really need is polyester quilt batting sold in craft/sewing stores. It comes in sheets that you can peel to get thinner pieces. Supposedly you don't want the ones treated with flame retardant (look for "warning: flammable! and you should be good, ironically.). Depending on the size of your internal filter, you may need to peel and use a thinner amount around your sponge.
That's a good idea, I'll see if I can find any. Besides, I already have some filter wool, so if I don't, I'll just use that. I don't know where I would put the moss rocks yet though... Beautiful setups and betta btw :thumbsup:

Love the latest photos! Your kuhlis are beautiful. Had a thought ... since you haven't had fish in the tank for a while, the bacterial colony might have shrunk. Adding your kuhlis could cause a mini-cycle, so you might want to test for ammonia every day for a while. If you're reading any amount at all, do daily WCs for a week or two until the bacterial colony catches up. Kuhlis are sensitive to water conditions and damage from exposure to ammonia can be cumulative, so best to avoid any!

Pardon my paranoia, but better safe than sorry. :)
My thoughts exactly :D I'm doing daily partial water changes (only small ones though, around 10-20%), plus the crypts are going through their melting stage, the disintegrating leaves will add more bioload to the tank, so because of that too.

Try a sprinkling of small stones around the base of the vals to help them stay put in the flow.

I like the new pics too. The stripes on some of mine changed as they grew.
I never thought of that... I guess I'll use some of the small rocks in the foreground. Thanks :)

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
That 'dust' is Detritus. up your water change schedule and possibly add another filter or powerhead to keep it from settling :)

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Oh, the promise of the melting crypt: I'll be gorgeous when I sprout again!
Lol I hope so, right now the leaves are all wrinkly and melting, and the stems are all bent.

That 'dust' is Detritus. up your water change schedule and possibly add another filter or powerhead to keep it from settling :)
Makes sense, I think I feed the kuhlis too much, cause I wasn't sure that they were actually eating. I'll just stir up the water in the tank do a water change 2-3 times a week, I think I actually have a small extra filter somewhere...

Anyway, thanks :)

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Ok found the extra filter, there's not enough plugs though so should I use it instead of the lights or heater? I'm going with heater for now, it's hot enough as it is with the weather and the lighting, its a constant 28 C anyway (I have my heater on 27 C).

The filters; Aquael FAN 1 Plus (84 gph) + Duetto 50 (66 gph) = 150 gph:

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
The tank looks great! The fish don't look bad either.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Okay, some kuhli pics:)

Burrowing:

Same guy:

I think it's the same guy again

Here's a melting crypt

I also threw in a bunch of MTS from my 120 gallon to keep the substrate aerated. Their shells are a bit eroded, so I'm thinking my water is a bit too soft and/or acidic for their liking. What do you guys think?

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Looking good. I used to have some of these exact ones. Now I have some black one lol.

As for the snails, part of it could be the water. I would be willing to bet it was their diet unless you are feeding them food loaded with calcium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store