150 Gallon Build Thread ... From the Start

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maroman

Threadfin Rainbow Lover!
Nov 13, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
WOW

:eek:mg: I just spent the last week reading through this thread and I have been amazed at everything! Very excited to venture into the large tank world which you have done so gracefully!

I love how you can grow so many different plants with only 1wpg! That is amazing in my mind! Quite a green thumb!

Even with your supposedly sub par camera, you have gotten amazing shots that I only wish I could get! Yay for point and shoot cameras!

Your stand and canopy build has enticed me to build a light canopy for my recently started 10 gallon... not nearly as burly as your 150, but I'm having fun! dropping a 36 watt power compact retro in it... we will see how well it grows plants!

All I can say is simply amazing, congratulations, and a job well done sir!

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
/\ /\ Wow - thank you! Glad you got to read through the entire thread and even more glad it may have inspired you a bit ... awesome! Thanks again!

I have a couple of tanks and had much better luck w/ both using 1 or 1.5wpg. On our 50 I had about 4wpg for a while. Although it was great for the bright plant colors and the quick growth of the stem plants, it also does a better than average job of growing the green glass algae (no good). With the 150, trimming stem plants under higher light is not what you want to do - the tank is just too much to have the lids off all the time trimming (for me anyway). I do inject Co2 and fertilize both tanks once a week. Lower wpg (in my opinion) is a good way to go - the maintenance is much less and the scape doesn't really suffer. It seems to be all about balance. Watch the plants (and fish) and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Here are a couple of updates (it's been up a little over a year now) ...

The tank (knock on wood) is only about 15 minutes a month worth of maintenance and a WC every couple of weeks ...

Hey Coy, was going to congratulate you on this mature, incredible tank now ~1 year old until you told me it only takes 15 mins. of work a month.

That, Sir, is ridiculous :) ... hope you're as well as your tanks.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Hey Coy, was going to congratulate you on this mature, incredible tank now ~1 year old until you told me it only takes 15 mins. of work a month.

If Coy is as well as his tanks and also takes only 15 mins. of work p/month...that would make him the dream husband for every woman in this world.... :feedback: from the ladies on this forum....

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008

I owe it all to that loop of yours, and the research, AND the tons of feedback I rcvd during the start of the build thread. Thanks Vader - it was great to hear from you!!

You motivated me - I'll post an updated vid soon!

Likewise, I hope you are well and things are going good!

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
A little video update ...

[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7P9pNeY_P0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7P9pNeY_P0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store