1st tank! Quick question!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
:newbie:
Hey, just recently started my first tank! I have a little 10 gal w/ a nice bio filter. (I wish i would have just bought the 20 gal but oh well) I did the whole cycling thing and bought 3 tiger barbs to get my tank started. I was wondering what other fish would be a good addition to my tank? I heard Barbs can be a little surly at times and want to make sure they dont pick on my other fish. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Picture 002.jpg

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
Nice tank! I would go for a couple corydoras. Loaches are nice too. Gouramis. It really depends on what kind of tank you want. Just keep in mind that you don't wanna crowd a 10 gallon. If you do then you'll need to do a lot more to maintain the tank. Barbs are a bit more aggressive than the average freshwater fish you can get at the average fish store but they really aren't too bad. I'd add 2 corys and some cardinal tetras. For some personality and color.

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
Thanks! Now, before I add new fish how long should i wait?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Honestly, I think tiger barbs will get too big for a 10g.

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
I sortof agree actually. Tiger barbs are a schooling fish, and they require larger numbers (~5) to prevent any one fish in the "school" to over-aggress another fish. So, in a 10 gallon, probably 5 is a maximum. You might be able to get a clown loach in there. They do best with barbs. Sometimes they even school with them.

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
Wait a week or so, let the habitat normalize, and see how they're all doing. Make sure everything is healthy and that the tank isn't getting overly smelly or anything. If you get 2 more tiger barbs and a clown loach you'll be at capacity for the tank. Make sure you do a good job keeping the tank clean at those numbers. A 10 gallon tank can hold plenty of fish. You just need to do a lot more maintenance to keep the tank healthy.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I sortof agree actually. Tiger barbs are a schooling fish, and they require larger numbers (~5) to prevent any one fish in the "school" to over-aggress another fish. So, in a 10 gallon, probably 5 is a maximum. You might be able to get a clown loach in there. They do best with barbs. Sometimes they even school with them.
Clown loaches can get over a foot long, and also are a social fish. No way they should be put in a 10g. Stick with smaller/less active fish.

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
Yup, I agree. I just never had one long enough I guess :) Ignore my suggestion.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Barbs get quite large and are semi-aggressive. Having said that I think you could go all barbs and do 4 or 5 but they do tend to get large. It doesn't leave much room for other fish. Welcome and gl :cheers:

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
A Botia is the type of fish I was thinking about. Sorry. That might be a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store