2 quick questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Hey all,

So I have a new tank I just set up. I am running a new filter along with a cycled sponge filter. I've read that it can speed up the cycle, dies anyone know how long I should wait til my new filter is cycled? I am going to add fish next week(I've done a fish -in cycle with my 1st tank) .

Also what species of Pleco stays small? I can't find the one I was looking for.

Thanks ahead of time!

Chaucer Ingram

AC Members
Jan 20, 2019
The only way to know for sure is to test. Doing so will will get you in the habit of testing so you'll KNOW what parameters you're working with.

I know what you mean. I'm freaked by the idea of growing a 2-foot monster common pleco. I bought two white plecos 15 months ago that seem as if they're going to remain manageable, about 8-inches max. I trusted my FS's recommendation since it was an impulse buy.

Good luck, Ian!

Reactions: Ian h

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like said, you need a means to measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to know for sure, but provided you're stocking with a bio load that sponge filter can handle, you should be good to go.

I know I've done it this way a bunch of times. Either using the sponge from a well seeded sponge filter in a canister, HOB or as the bubbler filter as designed. Instant cycle. Still need to check up on it with your test kit and be ready for water changes with a good dechlor like Seachem prime or safe.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
For sure!, I have PRIME and the API master kit. Checking every day twice a day, So far it's seems like its not cycled.... So I guess It needs more time? lol

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
My first tank I did a fish-in cycle with no losses. But I'm trying not to do a fish-in with this one lol I want to move my Redeyed Tetras into the new tank ASAP. 1 Of them is quite big and I feel needs his own tank with more Tetra like fish.
So my water readings after dosing prime (3hours ago) is Ammonia : 0 , Nitrite : 0 and Nitrate : 5

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Also, do you think it's safe to move fry in there? They are about 3-4 weeks old. 40+ in a 10 gallon they seem to want more room lol

Chaucer Ingram

AC Members
Jan 20, 2019
Your numbers look good, though I know very little about fry. In all the time I've been into tanks I had a banded coral shrimp spawn years ago, but my wife killed that tank shortly after. o_O

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ian, you need to judge the amount of beneficial bacteria you "likely" have for you sponge filter vs your fishes' mass. That kind of means if you have, say 10 1/2 inch fry they'll likely have the same food in & ammonia output of 5 1 inch fish (more or less, that's why we test). It's hard to guess, but if you move a sponge that's housed 2 sponge filters & remove 1, you "almost" have enough beneficial bacteria for half the fish mass you had in the cycled tank. The BB grow quite fast & can double in 24 hours. Be ready to change water or add Prime as needed.

I hope that makes sense...

Reactions: Chaucer Ingram
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store