2 sun sun 704b or one FX6?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Which set up would you guys pick on something around 200-250 gallons? The flow rate is about the same, but two sun suns are less pricey than one FX6. If I go with the FX6, I’ll also run a Fluval 306, if I go with the sun suns, I’ll use the 306 elsewhere.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I've been running two FX5s on my 225, and they're alright. Media capacity and the ability to customize it is good. They're kind of a pain to prime when putting them back on-line after servicing. I don't know if it's any easier on the FX6. All in all, not bad filters, but honestly, if I had it to do over with what I know, I'd go with something else. The biggest reason is that I've had to replace the motor on each once since I got them, around 2012 I think (I'm winging it based on my memory and I'm not 100% sure about that), and I think the motor is going out on one of them again. I expected more from a $300.00+ filter from a name like Hagen, especially when the replacement motor costs more than entire cannister filters of other brands. I know the FX6 uses the same motor unit, so I wouldn't buy one for that reason alone.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I've been running two FX5s on my 225, and they're alright. Media capacity and the ability to customize it is good. They're kind of a pain to prime when putting them back on-line after servicing. I don't know if it's any easier on the FX6. All in all, not bad filters, but honestly, if I had it to do over with what I know, I'd go with something else. The biggest reason is that I've had to replace the motor on each once since I got them, around 2012 I think (I'm winging it based on my memory and I'm not 100% sure about that), and I think the motor is going out on one of them again. I expected more from a $300.00+ filter from a name like Hagen, especially when the replacement motor costs more than entire cannister filters of other brands. I know the FX6 uses the same motor unit, so I wouldn't buy one for that reason alone.

WYite
I wouldn’t have expected that, I would’ve expected the FX series to be bullet proof. That’s one reason I’m considering the sun suns, the reviews are good and for $97 even if it only lasts 2 or 3 years, I feel like I got my money’s worth, as long as it doesn’t leak and flood the house lol
Thanks for the heads up on the FX

Reactions: Wyomingite

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, they all have the same potential to leak, regardless if you spend $100 or $400 on one.

I dunno what it is in GPM, but the flow rate on my $130 Penn Plax 1500 is impressive. It's a 5-tray canister.

I have also had good luck with Sunsuns and currently have an Eheim classic and a Marineland C-360 in use as well.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
FX6 is self priming. I don't have to do anything special beyond plugging it in. While nothing is leak proof it is pretty decent - i like the media basket better than the eheim 2217 i have which is a bit of a pia to clean. However the fx6 is a lot louder.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
FX6 is self priming. I don't have to do anything special beyond plugging it in. While nothing is leak proof it is pretty decent - i like the media basket better than the eheim 2217 i have which is a bit of a pia to clean. However the fx6 is a lot louder.
Noise isn’t a concern for me since this tank will be in the garage, my main concern is functionality. I found the eheim classics to be a PITA to get going and have gone completely away from those. The self priming sounds nice, I’m just wondering if it’s worth it since I can get two of the sun suns for less than one FX6. From what I’m reading the flow rates are similar and the media capacity is too. I know I’ll be pissed if i spend $300 on the fx6 and the motor goes out in a couple years. I’m leaning towards the sun suns

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For my classic 2215, I swapped out all the ehiem bio media for blue coarse sponge disks. It's got like 7 of them stacked bottom to top. To me it's simpler that way and easier to clean. My penn plax 1500 is just coarse sponge in each tray as well.

I always pre-fill my canisters with water before I snap the tops back on. I fill them to the point water wants to squirt out when putting the top on. They take right off for me this way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store