20 Gallon Long Filtering and Flow Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greeGree

AC Members
May 16, 2017
Hello,
I've got myself a new tank after many years away. It is a planted 20G long with a single aquaclear 20 and I am having trouble coming up with a good way to increase flow and or filtration. I'm currently cycling the tank so want to get this sorted before I get fish. I was thinking Harlequin Rasboras and corries but time will tell. I was wondering if another HOB (one on each side) would be the best option or if a sponge and a koralia nano would be better? I'm not sure the two HOBs would create good circulation as they would both be push towards the front of the tank.

Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd opt for the 2 HOBs...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I run a canister on a 20L... but really, 2 HOBs should work fine. as should a circulation pump being added.

Worry about the needs of the fish you choose, and make sure gravel vacuuming cleans any substrate needed.

if you're not adding jumpy fish, and intend to have no cover, there's no problem moving HOB filters around at all. so relax a little.. and just see how it goes... work with what you have and go from there.:)

Reactions: greeGree

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Hello, my 2 cents will come from tons of reading only, but is it flow like a current you want or on the surface? I've seen a lot of spray bars that look like they would agitate the surface.
Inside wave makers seem to give a current. Some fish seem to enjoy playing in it (not bubbles just current) or is the actual filtration your concern? The fish I'm thinking of are river fish I think, so they would enjoy the current not so much bubbles. I love the pygmy cories, I was told a couple dozen could go in a 20 long as they are middle bottom dwellers. The only thing about a current I could see is having to have plants that could withstand it.
I'm having good tank envy, a 20 long is what I would like. Where did you get yours?

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Grech CBG-800 5W UV Sterilizer Hang-On Back Filter, 20-50 gallon/211 GPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY3YMHG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_nNyhzbHXVM525

What is the opinion on this for a 20 long? greeGree you haven't mentioned any issues with water etc. But for myself I would need different types of media to balance my tap water/purified water mix. The filter above seems too good to be true. It has two media baskets and a sterilizer inside that can be turned on and off... there is a smaller version for 10-30 gal also for about 35$
Any thoughts? BTW greeGree where did you find a top for your 20 long and is it glass so plants can get light? Also sorry I missed the brand name of the wave maker you mentioned in your first post. Can I ask if two hob filters were mentioned for current or is it that two smaller hob work better than a larger single one?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Spray bars will cause surface agitation or worse if their outlets are pointed upwards, they should all rotate, so this should not be an issue.

As with any type of filter, or equipment, have a look at reviews from established aquarists, and pay attention from reviews show it being used over a period of time... not just having received it and use it for a day or 2.

Looking at the filter directly above, I have no experience with it, so I really cannot comment, but I would think that if it was so magical, I likely would have. I'm personally not a huge fan of HOB filters, but if I were going to get one, it'd likely be an Aquaclear or Seachem Tidal.

I would take the addition of a UV sterilizer with a grain of salt.. I'm not necessarily convinced of their overall usefulness in a home aquarium, and one to fit in a small filter would likely give the water so little contact with the light that it's effects would be negligible anyways... But you should think about whether or not you want/need a UV filter in the first place... do you have an issue you think it may help with?

And the Koralia mentioned in the first post is a wavemaker/circulation pump.

Finally, also remember that current isn't the same as flow... But it really depends what you want and why.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Kind of waiting to see what greeGree has decided. What kind of stock?
I went to aqadvisor this list was approved for a 15 gallon? What kind of flow or current do any of these fish need? It gives temp and ph and compatability. Calculated for adult size.
Screenshot_20170517-231446.png
I realize it's overstocked when adult by 5%. I would only choose two of that shoal ingredients fish besides the pygmy. The pygmy are for sures.and I know otos are similar but I like them too.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would take everything from aqadvisor with a grain of salt...

for example if you have 2 females and a male endler... you're unlikely to only have that many for long.

My personal preference would be to have smaller types of fish, and bigger groups of each. I am a big fan of Otos and Pygmy Cories also. I'd up the size of them.

I'd personally drop the tetras and panda cories, likely the CPDs as well.

Endlers are OK, but if you don't get only a single species, you'll tire of them quickly.

Shrimp will reproduce faster if you start them with a bigger number too

I don't see anything as having particularly special needs, so you should be golden, and I'd not worry about being overstocked by 5%, just be sure to keep up on water changes, and adding real plants will help with that too.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
It would be heavily planted, plant lights on for 7 hrs a day, viewing light on until bedtime.
So if it was pygmy, otos, maybe a couple of dwarf hillstream loach, what surface fish would you think. I only like the long finned or black emperor tetras...the emperors get bigger though. White mountain minnow?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store