20 Gallon Long Filtering and Flow Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow! Now that's making a rock statement! Much better showing off the prettiness of the dragon stone.

But I agree with myswtsins on the small supporting stones going the wrong way & the big rock is a bit too tall above the substrate...but it's close to amazing. Better plant placement too! You almost there, just a bit of tweaking & some plant growth.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow! Now that's making a rock statement! Much better showing off the prettiness of the dragon stone.

But I agree with myswtsins on the small supporting stones going the wrong way & the big rock is a bit too tall above the substrate...but it's close to amazing. Better plant placement too! You almost there, just a bit of tweaking & some plant growth.

greeGree

AC Members
May 16, 2017
I love that piece but it is a bit over powering IMO. And again the small rocks going the opposite way under it are throwing me off. If you could get the big piece like shoved down a bit to make it look a little smaller and change the direction of those little guys I think you're on to something. :) BTW if you turn off the lights in the room the pictures will come out better, less reflection makes it easier to see into the tank.
I do agree the new rock is needing to go deeper but with a soil base I didn't want to stir things up too much. :( I might just have to bite the bullet, I'm not quite sure what rocks to change the direction of? The ones under the prow of the big rock? I'm attaching a better picture. Thanks for the tips, this is great. :)

DSC_0123.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I agree with everything myswtsins has said...

It looks much, much better now, it could also be the angle of the picture, but the rocks are looking bigger, it's now showing off the grain of the stone better too. And do pay attention to the grain of the rock, to make sure that they fit in, if the grain is all aligned (or pointing toward an imaginary point within the aquarium, it will appear to be more natural.

I look forward to seeing it after it has grown in a little. I think that having more plant growth will help it overall.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm not quite sure what rocks to change the direction of?
The one that jumps out at me as looking out of place would be the one that's a lighter color, below the middle of the big rock.

It may be a different kind of rock, but it looks to be going against the grain of the big rock.

also remember, when using rocks, you can turn them around and around, so you can have the best looking features pointing directly at the users point of view.

greeGree

AC Members
May 16, 2017
The one that jumps out at me as looking out of place would be the one that's a lighter color, below the middle of the big rock.

It may be a different kind of rock, but it looks to be going against the grain of the big rock.

also remember, when using rocks, you can turn them around and around, so you can have the best looking features pointing directly at the users point of view.
Thanks. :)
I'll try and change those rocks out. They are the same kind of rock but different colouring. I do have some more with a red tinge just liked the shape of those one.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks. :)
I'll try and change those rocks out. They are the same kind of rock but different colouring. I do have some more with a red tinge just liked the shape of those one.
In my opinion, different colors of the same rock are OK...

I would make sure the grain goes in the same direction... but I wouldn't put something of a different color right against another rock... I'd put it further away. In nature, you'd be more likely to see a transition between colors, so if they look like they touch and are different colors, you really notice their difference, and it can really pull your focus from elsewhere.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you for the better picture, it helps. If you are worried about disturbing the soil then maybe if you moved the big one to the left a bit and angled it down just a TINY bit it might help it appear more balanced. Just sliding it to the left should actually reduce the angle a bit and might be enough. Yes, that one lighter rock in the middle of the big one is the one I was referring to going in the wrong direction (it looked like 3 were going in that direction but the better picture showed that was not the case).

greeGree

AC Members
May 16, 2017
Changed out those rocks and worked the large stone deeper into the substrate. Will probably tweak a few things while I'm waiting for it to finish cycling. Thanks so much for your thoughts

DSC_0136.JPG

Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store