20 gallon stocking with a persnalty

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeanTheFish

AC Members
Mar 5, 2018
I will get a 20 gallon for my bedroom and I want a fish with lots of personality but they need to be able to live in that 2o gallon and please no guppies or any top of the tank schooling fish (also they need to be able to survive a 5 hour car ride or they need to be able to not eat for 3 weeks

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Why would they need to be able to not eat for 3 weeks?

DeanTheFish

AC Members
Mar 5, 2018
I said or because every year I ether have to take them with us or leave them hear with no food

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd go with a tank of cherry shrimp, honestly. 3 weeks without food is going to be a bit much for most fish, particularly if you want anything with 'personality', and fish tanks just are not portable. It's detrimental to pretty much everything in a tank to move it around.

Reactions: jbradt

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
When you are gone for 3 weeks, is there a possibility of getting someone else to feed them?

DeanTheFish

AC Members
Mar 5, 2018
i can take them with me becuase i have tanks there for them or i can leave them here and let them starve

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, except for the starving thing (that's pretty major!) I'd suggest a pair of apistogrammas. Or as Sploke said, shrimp.

When I'm going to be gone for a longish while I pay someone to come over to feed 2 or 3 times a week. They don't necessarily need to be an experienced fish person if you have containers of the correct amount of food for each visit & are pretty sure you won't have filter issues or other problems.

Luckily I now have a neighbor's employee/friend that's an experienced fish person that can deal with emergency tank things that may come up. I don't ask him to do water changes etc, just feed & see that all is ok but at least he knows how to check & CAN deal with whatever happens. He appreciates a bit of extra $ with little effort & we get peace of mind. He also checks house & yard plants & waters as needed.

Where I used to live, we hired a "professional" pet sitter once during a family emergency. No fish or bird experience but willing. (We had both at the time. We later found out they left our door unlocked & wide open, eek!) Our retired neighbor was better, less expensive, but equally clueless... at least he locked the door!

I'd be OK with leaving our fish for 10 days or so, my husband is not. Plan on $10 (neighbor teen) to $20 (Pro pet sitter) per visit no matter what you ask them to do (within reason) & give explicit directions. It's well worth the cost.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've read of problems with auto feeders. Sometimes they don't work, clog or dump in more than 1 section's food. If you get 1 make sure it works correctly with the food you offer long before you leave.

Sorry, it was OrionGirl that suggested shrimp. They are quite interesting, more than you might think.

You could get a heavy breeding population of shrimp going with lots of hiding places & then introduce a betta OR a dwarf cichlid. A kind of self feeding tank without the risks of an auto feeder, lol. But you may like the shrimp too much to risk any of them ;)

I'm not a live bearer fan.

I would not move fish (& their filter to keep the beneficial bacteria) for 3 weeks.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Fish stores carry vacation feeders that can feed over several days. I know that petland discount stores carry them it might be something to look into you can purchase them online if you don't have a Petland near you. Also corydoras are great fish and wonderful bottom eaters with a lot of personality too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store