20 gallon SW tank startup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
A planted tank?
A tank with live plants. Similar in that the intensity of light is important in determining what types of plants you can keep, just like light will help determine what types of corals will do well in a marine tank.

Franco Salinas

AC Members
May 1, 2018
OHhhh okay I see, thanks guys. I'll probably just use the lights I ordered for now while I let the water circulate. Then i'll order a new light fixture when its time to get coral.

Jesterrace

AC Members
Apr 24, 2018
I'm going to use the NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light (White and Blue LED). Idk what coral to get in all honesty, which ones would be the best for the size of the tank and and for the type of lights.
That is definitely a FOWLR light. If you want corals you will need to open up your wallet. A Chinese black box would run you in the $100 range and you can't customize them the way you can the nicer lights. An AI Prime will be $200 plus the mount but you will have every customizable option available (ie timer, color selection, intensity, ramp up/down, etc).

Franco Salinas

AC Members
May 1, 2018
That is definitely a FOWLR light. If you want corals you will need to open up your wallet. A Chinese black box would run you in the $100 range and you can't customize them the way you can the nicer lights. An AI Prime will be $200 plus the mount but you will have every customizable option available (ie timer, color selection, intensity, ramp up/down, etc).
Sorry what does FOWLR mean? and you say I should get a AI Prime?

Jesterrace

AC Members
Apr 24, 2018
Sorry what does FOWLR mean? and you say I should get a AI Prime?
Fish
Only
With
Live
Rock

And yes, I would recommend the AI Prime HD if you are serious about corals. Those chinese black boxes (mentioned above) are decent lights but the build quality and warranty support is hit and miss and you won't be able to customize them the way you can an AI Prime HD.

Franco Salinas

AC Members
May 1, 2018
Fish
Only
With
Live
Rock

And yes, I would recommend the AI Prime HD if you are serious about corals. Those chinese black boxes (mentioned above) are decent lights but the build quality and warranty support is hit and miss and you won't be able to customize them the way you can an AI Prime HD.
Ohhhh okay I see cool, and thanks for the recommendation, I'll look them over and save up. Do you think it would be okay to just use the light that I have already while the tank cycles then once I start to add coral frags ill buy the lights, or is it just better to have the lights while the tank cycles too?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store