200 gallon metropolis fun?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jcedeno

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
The common tenure when one buys a bigger tank is to get bigger fish. But I wanted to do something different. I would like to stock my tank with a tropical community of fish 2"-5" max. Given the space what do you think are some good possiblities. Keep in mind I want to have a variety of species, so I want the bio-type cross-sectioned...

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Yes, I think the idea is great. I myself am the same way. When I have the room and money I will get a very large tank and do the same. As for what can be put into it....there are alot of different combos you could do. Your best bet is to get a list of fish you like and then we can go from there and let you know what will and won't work. Due to the size of the tank there is alot of choices. Below is a link to a place that offers alot of fish profiles. Go through them pick out what you like, add it to the list then come back and let us know...

Profiles

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
100 neon tetras, 25 cories, 10 female bettas, 25 ottos. I just came up with that on the top of my head. I don't know how well it would work with that many as I don't recall ever seeing a 200 gallon aquarium. But it would look cool to have lots of small fish in there.

darkelf1600

AC Members
Aug 20, 2006
Newfoundland
I'm not sure of numbers, but seeing as the tank is 200 gallons (I want it) I would add a school each of:

cardinal or neon tetras
black neon tetras
some type of cory (perhaps bronze)
ottos

I'd also add a pair of bristlenose plecos

some amono shrimp

and a single pair (or trio) of some "centerpiece" fish (maybe angels or pearl gouramis?)

I'm so indecisive..
Anyway, let us know what you do (and plant that tank! lol)

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Hows about...

60 neons
60 harlequins (these two species contrast nicely)
6 redtail sharks
20 sterba cories
3 angels
Loads of plants
And of course an obligatory snail

Lovely mix of colurs...

kcooley

freeswimming
Dec 14, 2005
MN
rainbows...

maybe goodeids? live bearers will be cheaper because they will fill your tank for you

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Cardinals are a angel owners best friend.. They get too big to eat for the angels imo.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
momar said:
Hows about...

60 neons
60 harlequins (these two species contrast nicely)
6 redtail sharks
20 sterba cories
3 angels
Loads of plants
And of course an obligatory snail

Lovely mix of colurs...
red tail and rainbow sharks will fight when they mature,i have seen them fight a my friends house(despite me telling them they think its funny how the sharks 'play').and i would say 30 of each tetra,that way you could have more schools.;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store