20g Cork Scape Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
wooow ive read from beginning to end and you have inspired me to use cork instead of the expanding foam...Ill be using it in a 40 gal with Fire-Bellied Toads. I have a question, if you silicone pieces together do you think it would hold water frog getting into a dry area? my plan is to have a section of land and a waterfall at the top goin down the background forming a creek so the back ground will be in layers but you wont be able to tell unless looking from the top
Cork is not water tight. I plan for water to get everywhere behind cork when I use it. You can keep animals out pretty easily though, using screen or mesh behind the cork... so I don't see a problem with the frogs, you'll just have to plan it a little differently. False bottoms are really useful with cork.

as far as updates go, it's a little overgrown right now... but looking pretty good. I just recently moved my Royal Red/Flame Gourami in there, and he seems to love it, and adds some much needed color and attitude to the tank. I was initially worried he'd bother the bamboos and lampeye fry... but he doesn't... instead he spends most of his time trying to spit water out the corner onto my face. It's pretty funny.

I'll try to take some pics this week.

k1983

Registered Member
Dec 9, 2010
Mellowvision!, i've just wanted to to thank you and congrat you for all your stunning tanks! That cork scape and the 15g paludarium are my inspiration to create a piece of a drowned forest in my new Juwel rio 125 (125 liters).

Any advice or think that i might have in mind with cork? I already have several pieces ready to cut and glue.

Thanks!

PS - I know my english is a bit rusty, sorry about that :p

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Thanks k1983. my advice is to think about structure first, and use egg crate inside your larger forms. This way, the cork doesn't have to work as hard, and is a lot easier to glue into place. also, cover as much of the background as possible. I wish I hadn't left exposed glass on mine, it would be much nicer if the whole back area was cork.

also, keep in mind that you will NEED to rinse it thoroughly after it's all dry. By thorougly, I mean you need to spray it down with water several times, empty the tank, and then run warm (90º) water in the tank for a week with daily 100% waterchanges, before planting or anything else. Do this without substrate. It is really a required part of the process in my opinion.

good luck!

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Yes, yes. I remember following this link for some time. I do have to say "Darnit Mellow! The wife is gonna hate me for having to set up yet another tank, now with a cork background!" Hmm, 40 gallon breeder, high light, pressurized CO2, cork scape......

kog

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
NZ
but you cant see the cork anymore :p I liked it the most when you first put the plants in, looked really cool like a hidden jungle :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store