20g long Neolamprologus multifasciatus Journal 9/2011

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Congrats for the fry...enjoy them!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Multis are pretty self sufficient IME and didn't seem to need much intervention on my part. I only removed fry once it started to look crowded or males matured and were getting pushed around by the dominant male. Luckily my LFS took them in for credit. I also tried to maintain about 2-3 shells per sub/adult.

prk

AC Members
Jan 10, 2012
SoCal
I am starting a shellie tank (multies preferred but whatever I can get my hands on)

I am using some of my old tank stuff to house these fishes.

10g tank with standard filter. eco-complete black plant substrate
~20lbs of utah rock stacked to make "hiding spots"(made caves)
loads of shells

I'll take a picture once the shells arrive (bought the ones from amazon).

should i ditch the rocks? any way to put them in and still be ok? i coudlnt find anything on how shellies interact with rocks.

is the substrate too big for them to dig around?

aaarrrg. much help appreciated.

lastly anyone know where i can get multies for cheap? id prefer picking them up from a private breeder in socal.

thanks and sorry for the hijack.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Depends on how you want the tank to look...the multis would be just fine with only shells. As for the eco complete, I'm not sure how well they would do with it as I haven't used it myself. If it has a sand like consistency then it would be ok to use. Otherwise I probably wouldn't use eco complete and get some PFS (or another type of silica sand) instead.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
Quick sad update tonight....

I came home today, and noticed the 2nd dominant male multi dead near a group of shells that aren't occupied by any of the other fish. I had noticed he hadn't really been eating about a month ago and didn't really think anything of it.

I haven't noticed any different behavior with him besides him guarding his territory and swimming around like he always did. Either he starved to death or got attacked to death by the more dominant male. I don't know. I tested the water parameters and they were fine. No ammonia, no nitrite, and about 20 ppm nitrates.

Oh well. One of the dead multi's has one fry with one of the females which I noticed is still alive and quite large. The other male has fry with at least two of the other females which are doing well.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
Monthly update - fry getting bigger

[YT]CGXLe-SQsU4[/YT]

update to the update: I also noticed one very small fry in a group of shells that didn't have any babies at all. Probably from the female I haven't seen any babies from yet. Any comments suggestions welcome.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
looks good. can't wait until mine breed. Also kindof wish i'd used a dark substrate yours look great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store