20g long stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
The stocking for my 20g long tank is as follows:

1 Pearl Gourami
1 Otocinclus cat
5 Sterbai Cories
8 Harlequin Rasboras

How's the stocking? Too much?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Sounds good to me. I'd wait 3-6 months before introducing the Oto though.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Looks good. Might want to add another oto, they enjoy company.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
If you add the extra three Harlequins you will need to be regular about water changes and have good filtration. Sounds like a nice tank.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Thanks. I think the harlies have introduced ICH into my tank though...**** it. I went back to the LFS to pick up 3 more to complete the school...and they said that they discovered ich in the tank on Wednesday. I bought the initial 5 harlies on the Saturday prior to that Wednesday...and I think I see a single white spot on three of the harlies. I am concerned. I quarantined one of them in a makeshift 2 gallon tank that I had that was spare (not ideal for quarantine...but I want to try to prevent the spreading of it...but I think it's too late...)

The one that I quarantined has a pretty prominent white spot right next to its eye...I don't know if it's just an injury though. The other two have what seems to be a white spot in the same exact position, dead center on their lower lip...but I am hoping that it's just the way they are with a white scale or something there...but that's really just wishful thinking, I think. I mean, I added them less than a week ago (6 days) so I'm hoping that I caught the only Trophont that made it into my large tank.

What do you think, should I also quarantine the other two Harlies with the white thing on their lip? I mean, what are the chances that its in the same EXACT position on both fish?

And the reason that I didn't quarantine them initially is because I didn't have a quarantine tank set up/cycled for them. **** it...what have I done. And I'm weary about treating the main tank because I have live plants.

I think I'll just quarantine all of the harlies. All five of them. It will be cramped in that 2 gallon...but they're schooling fish so hopefully they'll be okay...

Argh.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
If there's Ich in the tank, you'll have to treat the entire tank regardless of how many fish you see it on. The life cycle of Ich includes cysts that attach to substrate, plants, etc. and a free swimming stage. You only see them on the fish at the end of the cycle (which is the beginning of the next).

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Yeah...**** it. What should I do with my plants while I treat the tank with salt?

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Leave them where they are. The treatment shouldn't affect them.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Really? I've heard otherwise about plants with salt treatment...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store