20g stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moss2k

AC Members
Jan 3, 2008
Going to set up a 20g tank tomorrow. trying to plan ahead for stocking. Wanting to do neon tetras and some guppy's (my fiance's favorites). What kind of mix should I look for with the guppies and neons, also looking for some Synodontis maybe, so I can have them when I set up my 75 Mbuna tank in a few months. :headbang2:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
For bottom, look for otos, cories, plecos or loaches. Be sure to research a little deeper before buying plecos and loaches. Many of them are not suitable for small tanks and some will harass smaller tankmates if given the opportunity. If you want loaches, then you'll have to look for the Pangios. For plecos, there are always Ancistrus, Panaque maccus, etc.

moss2k

AC Members
Jan 3, 2008
not a fan of plecos. I will try and find some cories she might like. The synos would be in there for a few months til I get my 75g up and running, then get her some new bottom feeders.

msquared

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
St. Charles, Missouri
I'm still a newbie, so take this for what it's worth. But I distinctly recall as a kid that we had a bunch of Neons in a tank with a catfish that I'm pretty sure was a Synodontis. We started noticing one less Neon each day, and kept looking in the filter and plants and such for them. The mystery was solved as the cat's abdomen started bloating out. Maybe if you started with the cats being very small, you could get away with it for a few months. But Corys are can't-miss bottom feeders in my very recent experience.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I'm still a newbie, so take this for what it's worth. But I distinctly recall as a kid that we had a bunch of Neons in a tank with a catfish that I'm pretty sure was a Synodontis. We started noticing one less Neon each day, and kept looking in the filter and plants and such for them. The mystery was solved as the cat's abdomen started bloating out. Maybe if you started with the cats being very small, you could get away with it for a few months. But Corys are can't-miss bottom feeders in my very recent experience.
Funny how we have very similar experience. What species was yours? Mine was a group of Synodontis eupterus.

moss2k

AC Members
Jan 3, 2008
ok, I will def wait on the syno's. I'm also looking into doing a planted aquarium, never tried it, and I think the fish would really thrive in that atmosphere. Are there specific substrates I need to use (want to do sand) and what about lighting? Specific bulbs/wattage?

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge. Cichlids are more up my alley. Don't know quite as much about tropical setup do's and don'ts, YET

Cichlidgirl91

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Tobaccoville, NC
I know that some people might nor agree with me, but I just used regular gravel. I also (most of the time) had my tank a little overstocked. The plants really thrive when there's a lot of fertilizer:rofl: if you know what I mean!
For lighting I used flourescents.
P.S - This was a 20 high tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store