29 Gallon Dwarf Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
Hello, I am in the process of establishing a 29 gallon tank (30" long x 12" deep x 19" high) and have decided to try my hand at South American Dwarf Cichlids. I was wondering about a few compatibility issues. If at all possible, I would like to have at least two different types of cichlids. For example, a pair of German Rams and a pair of some type of Apistos, with some dither fish. However, most dwarfs get aggressive while spawning. I do intend to breed these fish but would like to be prepared if they should mate. To diffuse the tension, the tank will be heavily planted, with abundant rocks and driftwood to provide adequate space for the pairs to establish territories. I was wondering if it is plausible to have more than one pair of dwarfs in a tank of this size. I am fine with only having one species, but I would then like to have more than a single pair. I would lean towards Apistos if only having one species since I've heard Rams are best added to an established tank. Filtration and water quality can be dealt with, so I am talking only in terms of space. Once again, the tank will be thoroughly complex. Does anyone have any recommendations of relatively easy-to-care-for fish which would fit my constraints, and which plants to accompany them? Rams are beautiful, but I think it might be best to avoid them for my first dwarf tank. Optimally, I would love to have two species of Apistogramma, either a pair or 1 male: 2 female for each. Is this an appropriate amount? I would once again also be okay with a species tank. Any thoughts? I have seen examples of very highly populated dwarf tanks which were successful because of many hiding places and am hoping I would be able to do the same. Also, should a species tank include dither fish and what kinds are recommended (preferably ones which naturally occur in the same biome as the cichlid)?

Thanks in advance.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Check the tank size requirements for the specific species you're interested in. It seems that many dwarf species I've looked at need at least 20 gallons for a mating pair.

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
I have heard the same, but it seemed that the reason that much space was needed was so each could establish a territory while spawning. I also read that a tank with enough hiding places could accommodate this. I was hoping someone who had set up a similar tank might have input. If i were to do two species, I would get two kinds which have different spawning places, such as a flat rock spawner and a cave spawner in hopes that they would establish distinct territories.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
tank size is important but depends on the set up
dwarf breeding pairs my not require the same in an actually breeding tank.
if they are sharing the tank then the footprint plays a more important part of the selection of the tank.
in the particular set you you are checking into..the footprint of the tank becomes definite consideration. a 20 long or 29 may be a better choice if you plan on housing a breeding pair and another species.
lots of cover also plays a part.
Rams tend to be open spawning choosing a flat rock etc.
Apisto's tend to prefer cover such as caves..

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
So if I were to keep a single species, the amount would depend on the preference of the fish I assume. Some apistos like trios (1 male, 2 female). Does anyone know of some apistos (or other dwarfs) which prefer groups of 3-5 instead of a pair? I'd like to have more than a pair without having to subject the fish to undue aggression.

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
Again, my footprint is 30" long x 12" deep x 19" high.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
My experience with breeding apistos....was they will kill every thing else in the tank if they are spawning. Not all of the species are quite that aggressive. However, given that both the GBRs and whatever other apisto you get will claim territory in the bottom of the tank...I honestly would go with one or the other. It is hard to narrow it down when they are all gorgeous fish....and you WANT them so bad....believe me I know. But, I can tell you from experience it is much HARDER to net out dead and dying fish because of aggression issues. If you want both...find a double 20 long stand that will hold one tank on bottom and one tank on top! Problem solved!

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
I kind of have to use this tank, so I'm sticking with it. I'm thinking right now to have 1 male and 3 female Apistogramma cacuoides, as well as other community fish found in the same biotope as they are.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Apisto's should not be mixed with other Apisto's due to aggression alone, a good beefy Apisto is the Apistogramma borellii in which case if you find captive breed specimens you might be able to get away with 2 males and 4 females..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store