29 Gallon Dwarf Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
So I think I may do an Amazon Biotope tank. So far, my stocking is:
3 (1 male, 2 female) Apiztogramma agassizii
10 Rummynose Tetra

Planting:
Amazon Sword
Dwarf Hairgrass

I will use a fine gravel substrate and add peat filtration. Tank will have plenty of bogwood, driftwood, and rocks. Should I include any other species of fish (I can reduce the number of Rummynose if need be)? And does anyone have plant recommendations? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
Here's my updated version. This would be the full capacity of the tank, as any more would be overstocking in my opinion.

Fish:
3 (1 male, 2 female) Apiztogramma agassizii
10 Rummynose Tetra
6 Corydoras Habrosus

Plants:
Alternathera reineckii
Pygmy Chain Sword

I was a little concerned that the Apistos would attack the Corys, but I did some research and other people have been successful with this combination.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds good, I would up the number to 10 Pygmy Cory's and leave the number of the Rummy's where they are at now because these guys feel a lot more comfortable with the same company..

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
Sounds good. I'm still fiddling around with which plants to choose. I want something that will look good in the tannin-stained water, but I can work that out. Either Amazon Swords or Alternathera with a small plant like pygmy swords. I appreciate the help, thanks!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
The pygmy swords might be too much of a pain with cory and apistos. They also will not carpet without CO2 and descent light IME. If a carpet was what you were thinking about.

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
I actually don't want them to carpet, so I should probably choose another plant.

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
I think I'll just have a few Amazon swords in the tank. Most of the space is to be occupied by driftwood and bogwood so I think one plant species should be enough. I've heard that they need a bit of iron to thrive. I currently plan on using small gravel for this tank. Should I do a layer of iron-rich soil below the gravel, or is there another way of providing the Swords with the necessary nutrients?

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
It seems simpler just to use tablets and carbon supplements to the water as Amazon Swords are pretty hardy, but any input is appreciated.

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
I'll make sure to post them, thanks for the help everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store