29G Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have red and hot pink gravel. :rolleyes: Can't throw it out and I've tried giving it away but no one wants it, can't understand why!

Aw, sorry. You should get another one though. ;) I think they may be sexable or at least obserable (you see one laying eggs, it's a girl. if one mounts the other etc.) I love mystery snails! Well I love all inverts and bottom feeders really but anyways... Yes, they like to come out to play. I found several egg sacs, raised one batch but let the tank get overcrowded. :(

Actually I currently don't have a tank they would enjoy (otos). But the shrimp tank would be an option down the road, if I want to pay their hefty price tag. :eek:

Threw some small pieces of wood in and moved the bulk of it to the left. I feel like i want a big tangle of wood on the left under central mass of wood there with a java fern above/in it. Crypts behind the lowest piece of wood all the way to the right or maybe just some moss covered rocks there....

There are some hard water stains on the glass causing that glare and it looks so much better in person! Has a lot of depth to it that is lost in the pictures. Things got a little shifted outta place too but blah blah, it's all coming out..now and taking a soak for tonight. Maybe a boil or dishwasher cycle tomorrow morning if I have time.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That looks a bit busy to me right now (but definitely a towel now). Have a fun 2 day BD party & let us see what happens with "real" substrate soon.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Right now it does look busy but once I cover 80-90% of of it with moss we will wonder if there was ever any wood in there. ;) Thanks!

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Looks great! Are you planning on tying the moss on with fishing line? Amanos may be too big, but crystal shrimp should be okay. I know people who have kept them together no problem. Although if you do stay with just red cherrys how many would you start with?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I vote for at least 10-12 RCS to start, if they're happy there should be lots! more soon.

What kind of moss? I'm pretty bored with java moss, fissidens? flame? peacock? Show & tell!

Since you're just across the river from MsJ, you can wait on zebra otos, tempting as they are...I give just a temporary pass on them, we all want to see how cool they can be in any of your tanks...soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks Austin. I will attach the moss with cotton thread. Not sure on the type of moss yet, depends what Rachel has in stock. Honestly I just told her I want low light undemanding plants and she said she has some, lol, so we'll see.

Yeah about 10-12 to start. One round of breeding and I'll be stocked! hehe

Reactions: Belltrain

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Fun weekend but now I am exhausted. Only a mini update tonight that most of the wood is water logged already. Just a few of the thicker pieces need some more time so it's looking good. I will pickup the substrate tomorrow and start rinsing.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It is hit or miss with oil-dri, so I've heard. I've bought 2 or 3 bags and they do require adequate rinsing but nothing crazy. Not as clean as PFS (I don't know anything as clean as that stuff!) but certainly not as bad as some other stuff! I also try to rinse it with low pressure for fear of pulverizing the clay pieces, it's fired not cast is steel. lol (people have reported problems with extended rinsing with it and most times they were blasting it so hard they were destroying it) I will let you know how this next bag goes.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well, I have a problem. Can't find any oil-dri in stock anywhere near me. I've tried 7 stores that the website says it is in stock but there is none there. :( Looks like walmart might be removing this from their inventory, so bummed! The hunt for substrate continues then....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store