33 Gallon Long Planted Tank!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's going to take a long long time! 1 pot, lol. Hairgrass can look nice in that style. It depends on what you want, how patient you are & how much $$ you want to spend. Some people grow HC emersed to get it going but it's still slow to fill in & that's starting with a lot more. Hairgrass, in my limited experience, spread but in a more sparse way, takes time to get that dense carpet look.

Kevin2k11

AC Members
Jul 6, 2011
All versions of the tank look great. Having a 33L and a 45L myself they are awesome tanks to tinker with and redo. I'll have to follow how you make out with dirt get some ideas for mine. =)
I thinking of upgrading to a 45 L in a bit... long tanks rock hehe...

Only down fall to a 33L is constantly trimming since its not very tall :p

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I thinking of upgrading to a 45 L in a bit... long tanks rock hehe...

Only down fall to a 33L is constantly trimming since its not very tall :p
Absolutely true, but the flip side to that is that it's shallow enough to grow any foreground plant you like for the ultimate Iwagumi

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I'm really missing having my 33L setup the heater malfunction and cooked my 12 cories (8 Adolfio and 4 Melini), 25 Celestrial Perl Dianos, several ottos and shrimp. My heart sinks just thinking about it. So I'll just live through your thread until I set it back up :)

Mine was low tech do dosing just water changes, anubia, crypts, vals sparilis and a moss. I'll try to dig up a pic.

Kevin2k11

AC Members
Jul 6, 2011
Sad to say... this might be my last update.. I am taking this apart... and scaping a 55 gallon.. :S

With that said... lets go to the update

Lights were raised 4" above the top of the tank, and now only using 54W T5 HO. No algae. Plants growing fine. No dosing. Co2 + soil tank :D

Glosso / dwarf hairgrass spreading fast.
I put a stem of Dwarf baby tears randomly in the tank it is also spreading lol

Stargrass doing well..

Creeping Jenny doing well too..

I wish I have converted to dirt sooner.. everything is growing really well!!

I noticed with Soil my Tiger lotus is staying low and bushy rather Tall and big lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store