35 Gallon Hex Stocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lissielou2002

AC Members
Feb 12, 2019
Hi, I am looking to get some advice on a 35 gallon hex tank I am going to be getting shortly. I am fairly new to the fish keeping world. I have done allot of research on allot of different fish. (I think I have been bit by the fish keeping bug. :)) I am hoping to do either one or two angelfish and that is it. Either a single fish or a pair. Would that be OK? Is there anything else I should add or avoid? I am going to get plants for their security, but keep space for them to swim in as well. Any advice? Thank you!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Get live plants, but note that most commercial aquarium hoods are underpowered, and most plants that are sold require high lighting conditions. Get Java fern, African water fern, Anubias, anarcharis and other low light plants and you'll be fine. Don't use sand or gravel as a substrate but fine gravel (1 to 3mm diameter). Better for the plants and much easier to clean. Get some driftwood as well. If you have any questions don't hesitate to post... there are a lot of knowledgeable helpful folks over here.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome! A 35g hex tank is a challenge in itself given the poor footprint and tallness to the tank. It's not a good configuration for active fish that do best with a lot of footprint. space. An angel could be great for a centerpiece fish, then a group or two of small schooling/shoaling fish perhaps.

Going with plants is another challenge. Getting the right amount of light to the bottom will be a problem. A tall thin piece of driftwood with anubia and java fern attached to it could be a good start and should work with a standard fluorescent hood provided the bulb is fresh.

Reactions: fishorama

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
So it is a tall tank? For sure I don't recommend that... I would look for another one.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I've never had a hex tank. But you need to judge fish levels by both surface area & floor space ( it's the same!! )...but for different fish!

I'm guessing you can have 1 angel (OR maybe a true M & F pair). That will decide what other fish might work.

lissielou2002

AC Members
Feb 12, 2019
Thank you so much for all your guy's help! I will defiantly look into those plants and getting a different light. It is taller than it is long. Are there another fish that would do better? I really want to do what is best for the fish! Thanks!

lissielou2002

AC Members
Feb 12, 2019
I have decided to go away from this tank and go with a different option I feel it would be better for the fish. Thanks for all your guy's help and time!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think you're wise to skip the hex. So, what size & shape tank did you decide on? What fish are you liking for it? We'd love to help & see pics.

lissielou2002

AC Members
Feb 12, 2019
I am going to a smaller scale. I am going with a ten gallon (rectangle) and I am do a stocking of a betta and possibly 4 peppered Cory Cats. I am going to do this smaller and with more beginner fish. I have started cycling and am excited to proceed forward! Sorry for the blurry pic. Any tips or advice? Thanks for all your help!

20190328_132622.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That looks nice! A tank background will hide the filter & if it's black it'll help hide the heater too. You can use a trash bag, poster board or fabric if you don't want to buy 1 or want to try out different colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store