37g Goldfish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I haven't kept Goldfish in a long while and want to try keeping them again. I had them when I was very young. I was think of atleast 2 Fancies or 3, depending, but most likely 2 fancies is enough. I do have a Cascade 300 (rated for 100 gallons) running on it. I no longer have plants in the tank just wood and rocks, have since moved my tetras to my 55g where they are very happy. I'll upload a picture of the tank in a bit.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
The tank is small for gold fish, but if you do 25% water changes weekly and keep the filter in top clean shape 2 should work. I'd suggest fantails as they stay the smallest. I'd also make sure to feed them a top quality food so they don't produce as much waste. Ken's Fish makes some good veggie foods at a reasonable price. You can typically get a 1/2 pound for under $10.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
tank pic?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I would recommend more than 25% water changes depending on the size of the goldies. That size tank will quickly become nitrate heavy with goldies. Extra filtration would be a great idea.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I plan on adding another filter in a month or so onto the tank to help the existing filter with the heavy load. I can do two 25% water changes weekly and maybe more as they get bigger up to to 30-40% twice weekly. The heater has been unplugged.

Here's the tank:
IMG_5210.JPG

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If you go with fantails, you may see damage on their fins from those rocks and that driftwood. Fancy goldies aren't very smart and due to their breeding over time have misshapen bodies that they can't manipulate very well, making them clumsy. I would recommend removing the rocks and sanding down any points on the driftwood, even if they look smooth.
They also won't benefit from the hiding spots you've created as much as they would benefit from more open swimming space. The tank would look really nice for some South American fish, but should be redesigned for goldies.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I picked up some fake plants to replace the rocks and going to move the wood around. I ended up with Orandas, I like them and they are cute. The fantails didn't look all that good and barely able to swim well. The orandas seem to have no issue swimming. In a month or two I'm going to pick up a second filter for the tank and maybe a bubbler.

Mickeytuxedodaniosplaty

Registered Member
Mar 5, 2018
Hi! I have 4 danios that are assorted (Including Zebra Danios), and 1 Mickey mouse platy and 1 tuxedo platy, I was wondering if any of you knew how to make a fry trap that can fit into 16litre/3.5 gallons. Please reply back if you know. By the way, my danios are all nice and ready for a breed! :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Start a new thread please...this one is pretty old. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store