4 oranda goldfish in a 10 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
In a big pond, it really depends on the climate in your area. If it gets 40 and below in the winter in your area, then fancy goldfish cannot survive. Due to their selective breeding to get the traits like the round body and funky head growths, they have much less resillience to freezing temps and disease than more "standard" goldfish.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Btw is it bad to have 2 orandas in a big pond with comets???

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This is a much better question! :)It depends on the size of the pond, the orandas and the comets. Orandas in a large pond can grow to be 8-10 inches. Comets can grow to be about a foot (sometimes more) in the right conditions. Orandas prefer slightly warmer water (70-72 degrees) than comets ( 65-68, generally, although they can survive in warmer water) A comet will feed faster than an Oranda, and may outcompete the oranda for food. Depending on where you live, both comets and orandas may need to be overwintered in tanks in the winter, but orandas are much more likely to have this need.

Hopefully this will answer your question. I can completely understand you interest in fancy goldfish-- they are really awesome, but they deserve to be taken care of well so that they can live a long and healthy life.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Superpilot, I assume underneath the attitude there may be some real interest inside you about this subject. If that's true, then please know we try our best to answer questions. Even if they seem silly sometimes. Do try to phrase your questions though with an open mind. It helps all concerned to know you are receptive to the advice we have to offer.

I'd like to caution everyone to keep the conversation respectful. Thanks!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
We buy all our pet stuff with our own money, even food!!! No allowance! He is most likely going to get his goldfish at petsmart where there is a 2 week guarantee. That means he can have all the refunds he wants! He is 10 and I am 12. I research all the time and know a lot about fish. Please don't judge me by my age.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
We live in central Texas, a fish store was going out of business and he got 3 fancy goldfish for 2 bucks each. I was able to convince him to put them in the pond. My moms pond is a few hundred gallons and there are lots of plants.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Actually, I believe we have or have had members who were only 8 years old.... if I remember correctly.

Welcome to the site!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Age affects maturity and the ability to accept criticism and responsibility. For some, age is merely an identifier and not an indication of maturity. That is a sword that cuts both ways. Some members, regardless of age, have been here for a long time and have been a joy to interact with. The fact that your brother has been acting in a not so acceptable fashion does not reflect on you.

It is fantastic that you research before making a decision is to be applauded, but be aware that there seems to be more wrong answers than correct ones on the internet.Even here there will be wrong answers but we try to self-police and correct them. Sometime we do and sometimes we miss ones that are not correct. Be careful in your research.

Good luck and welcome to AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store