40 gallon saltwater tank stocking up list

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
How about a hawkfish of some kind? Flame, long nose or a smaller one like a geometric pygmy hawk (actually an anthais).

All fish have the potential to jump. Something as simple as car lights passing through a window or someone walking in front of a tank at night causing a shaddow will spook a fish.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but its exactly what I am looking at. I've got the SW bug and multiple tank syndrom, I just have to slowly convince the wife its an acceptable idea.

Is a 40 breeder about as big as you can go with out going the skimmer route or drilling for refug/sump? The simpiler the better, and I figure when growth occurs it would be a swap for a larger tank with the 40B becoming the refug.

Second. Thoughts on lids. I see a lot of SW without them, more so than fresh. Is there a reason other than just looks? Do you loose a lot of beneficial lighting with something like a versa top?

I also thought that angels and reefs were a no-no, but I see flames being mentioned as hit or miss. Any direction on reading on this subject. I know the more colorful fish I can sell, the more likely it will occur.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I've got the SW bug and multiple tank syndrom,
It's ok, you're amongst friends here :)

There isn't really a size limitation when it comes to running a skimmer and or a sump. Somewhere around 45 to 75 gallons is a good size for a tank like this since you have enough water to help buffer against big swings but the tank isn't so large that the costs and work involved to maintain it doesn't turn someone off the hobby. It all depends on what you want to accomplish and what you are willing to do to maintain a tank. Obviously sumps/refugiums and skimmers are going to provide
added insurance and benefits in terms of stability and nutrient reduction but as long as you realize the limitations of running a tank without them, you should have success.

Topless systems are popular because of salt creep for the most part. Heat buildup (less of an issue with LEDs) and reduced gas exchange are other reasons you see so many topless tanks. Salt creep is not only unsightly but it builds up quick and blocks light. Mesh tops are pretty popular as they keep most fish in but also do not have the issues that glass/acrylic lids have.

Most of the dwarf and pygmy angels are listed as "with caution" for addition to reef tanks. Larger angels are pretty much a defininite no (although I have seen a few). Some dwarfs are regarded as more reef safe that others. It's really hit or miss with each fish. Some have flames, potter's, coral beauties for years without an issue and then all the sudden they go on a rampage.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Some have flames, potter's, coral beauties for years without an issue and then all the sudden they go on a rampage.
Or you get ones like mine, where you have to buy cheap on corals since you never know what they'll like to eat and what they'll leave alone.
So far my dwarf angels have taken a liking to Green Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps and Xenia...I'm not sure whether to complain or thank them. :laugh:

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
ur welcome to share this thread with me tolawdjk. i think the geometric pygmy hawk is a good idea, and also the midas blenny from the link u gave me fishfrend1 looks rlly cool!
Are wrasses reef safe?
and do firefish have a really big chance of jumping out if the tank has no lid? cuz at my lfs they keep dartfish in an open top tank i dont think any of them have jumped out so far. cuz if they dont ill go for a helfrichi firefish or the normal red firefish

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
im also interested with tanaka's pygmy wrasse too.

And does any1 ever have any experience with orchid dottybacks? i want advice and wnna know if they always hide all day in the rocks or not.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The possum wrasse will likely hide quite a bit. Cool fish though! Some wrasses are reef safe while others are not and some wrasses that are deemed reef safe may not much corals but can and will pick off snails and crabs. Wrasses are hunters. Some hunt pods while some hunt larger things (like snails and crabs). A small flasher or fairy wrasse would be a good safe choice. Other options would be something like a yellow (not green) coris wrasse or something more challenging like a leopard wrasse.

There are no guarantees when it comes to jumping. It's all about how comfortable a fish feels in the tank. If you have a "jumpy" fish in with fairly aggressive tank mates, chances are the jumpy fish will get spooked and jump.

Orchids (Pseudochromis fridmani) are regarded by many to be the most peaceful of the dottys. I don't think hiding will be an issue for you but if you plan on having ornamental shrimp, the dotty could decide to eat it/them. Again the orchid is reportedly less likely to do this than other dotty's but the potential is there. I would not suggest something like a dotty with a jumpy fish like a firefish. Chances are it will run it out of the tank.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yep. They are not good shippers and are tough to get eating as a result. If you see one, make sure it's eating. Even better if you witness it eating over a couple of days. Don't buy one the day it arrives at your LFS. While they do eat prepared foods, they also like to hunt pods so a mature tank is suggested.

They also sleep under the sand and will also hide there if they get spooked. Most hide under the sand for several days at least after being added to a new tank. Some don't see new leopards for weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store