40 gallon saltwater tank stocking up list

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
okay then im not gnna choose the leopard then. im still thinking abt chromis? cuz its like the last choice, but i dont like their coloration. i still need my last fish. right now theres gnna be:

flame angel
2 ocellaris clowns
orchid dottyback
true yellowtail damsel
and...
one last option
tobacco basslet- ive nvr heard of these guyz but i love thier coloration
helfrichi firefish/ normal red firefish- dont kno if theyre gnna jump but i see them kept in open top tanks in lfs
some species colourful wrasse reccommendation needed
any other reccommendations?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Truthfully a leopard probably isn't a good choice since they are fairly passive and you have an aggressive stock list going.

Next time you look at those open top tanks with FF, look at what other fish are in the tank with them. If you have a tank full of firefish and gobies, then the tank is likely pretty laid back which won't spook the FF. In contrast, if a FF strolls into your dottyback's, damsel's or clown's territory I can all but assure you that at least one of then will run and spook the FF up and out.

A good wrasse for that tank would be a 6-line or a 4-line, yellow coris wrasse, solon fairy wrasse, clown fairy wrasse, mystery (will eat snails, crabs, etc). Lots of other options when it comes to wrasse. Some wrasses are not reef safe but there are many that are.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I wouldn't do the tobacco basslet. They get big and aggressive. They may eat your smaller fish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+21+59&pcatid=59

Also I highly recommend a top to keep a fire fish. Mine got spooked by my skimmer the first night and jumped out through a tiny hole in my lass top. You can make a screen/mesh top that will help keep fish in.

Maybe you could consider a shrimp goby for the bottom of the tank. Check out yellow watchmen goby or randell goby\/orange strip goby.

I'm a huge fan of jawfish but they will jump and I think your other stocking might be too aggressive, they are shy fish.

For wrasses I really like flasher wrasses,

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store