4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Y'know... if you go swimming in it before you add the fish... you can feel good about peeing in the water knowing you're going to help cycle the tank!!!!!

;)

/been a silent reader of your thread... fascinated by it. Glad to hear you are leak free...

Think I'll hit the neighbourhood swimming pool later... it needs fish... think I'll cycle it.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
There won't be any cycling. The substrate from the 210 will be used in either one of the filters or just added to the tank. It's more than enough to support the initial bio load considering that most of the fish going in the tank are in that tank.

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Pete -

Just want to say I've been following this build for months prior to my membership. Looks like a lot of work but big rewards. Keep it up! Can't wait for the final shot :)

Best Regards,
Patrick

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Oh so your using Pool filter right? the kinds with sand?
No, I am using my own version of http://www.tadege.com/wakinfilter.htm. I am using 55 gallon food drums instead of 42 gallon garbage cans and Uniseals instead of shower drains. I'll also be using external Reeflo Hammerhead pumps instead of submersible pumps.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I was making peanut butter cookies and forgot about the water, so ended up with 27" of water instead of 23" and so far no leaks. It's about 4" shy of where it leaked on the second test. We'll see in the morning.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
How can you be sure the leak isn't submerged already, but not leaking yet just because there isn't enough pressure/depth to force water out of it? That would mean its a very small hole, if the surface tension was enough to keep it from leaking until sufficient pressure was built up over it.

I guess if you're planning on re-coating the tank from the depth it leaks at, all the way down, its a non-issue, just not clear on how you're going to fix it I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store