$50 craiglist 225 tank/cabinet/canopy DIY refurbish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
ANY project that allows me to finish with more tools than I started with and an over all cost savings makes me happy! Just saying is all, Ya I love new tools! LOL
Even though I know how to use hand and power tools I do have more tools then most need especially since I had allot of my fathers tools passed down to me. So I do feel a tad guilty when I buy 4 more C-clamps I might not use again. But you hit the nail on the head that buying new tools is justified if covered by substantial cost saving in a DIY project, something I have always done. When My wife reminds me why I ever bought the Arc welder 15 years ago I hardly use, I remind her that in order to tow our boat with our mini RV we were going to have to pay $800 (lowest bid) in frame support welding. So I paid $200 for the welder and $50 in steel stock and rod, and leaned how to weld myself and did a much better job then was bid adding a diamond plate bumper, towing receiver, and front spare tire mount all for 1/3 the bid cost.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Tools are a Good thing!!!

:laugh:

JimL

I know just enough to be dangerous
Mar 28, 2009
Silverdale, WA.
$500 for a "Looks Like New" 250 gallon is nothing to complain about.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Indeed but he earned it with all that work! IMO

thorpbrian

AC Members
Oct 7, 2009
La Center, WA
Awesome job on the project. Thanks for posting everything because I learned a lot.

Now that tank is cycling got a stocking list going for it yet?

Navyscuba

The Fish Envy
Jul 5, 2009
Bartlett,TN
www.thefishenvy.com
Real Name
Angel Rivera
Well gotta tell you that on that side my wife always buys me tools of stuff that she knows will make my job easier around the house. Gunner here that would probably cost about $4000 w/o labor. Well Done.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Im in the process of cycling (ammo remaining stable at .25 PPM)something that I was hoping to avoid. So far my feeders seem to be responding better to keeping the PH down below 7.2 then the use of Prime to stave off the affects of ammonia poisoning, I wish now I would have planned ahead and bought a big piece of heavily tannin AF wood to lower PH as using chemicals is a drag. Even though Im using an established FX5 and ammonia has not raised past .25 PPM, becasue of the sheer size of the aquarium its going to take more time to cycle then I expected, only another 3-5 days I hope.

As far as using this thread for reference there is allot of detail left out like even though all the basic steps are there. So if anyone ever wants to know the details for a particular step just PM me.

Well im officially at day 7 with a full tank and so far no sign of leaking or silicone breaching PTL.

Againe as far as a fish list Im moving my assorted AF Ciclids out of the smaller 80 tank which needs seal repair:
6 Electric Yellows about 3"
1 Julido Marlieri about 2"
2 Cobalt Blues about 4"
2 Bumblebee about 4"
1 Brichardi Albino 3"
2Nanochromis 2"
These are the hardiest fish I have owned bullet proof never lost one to sickness or suddenness yet. They love the hard water here and although they bicker allot never seen any injury. Because they are colorful I think they will look good well inside the 244 tank.

Im in the process of installing the Tom's PS4 and so far has required allot of little unforeseen install chnages partly due to cheesy parts like hoses that too tightly, are too short and too thin with no disconnect, once pushed on the sharp lipped fastener the hoses can only be cut off. I am currently stuck trying to decide whether or not I should leave the protein separator with its wood stone and air pump installed or removed.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i leave the skimmers as they are, i just dont use hook them up to the air pump and use them since in freshwater they arent needed or useful. as for the hoses fitting tight i wipe a small amout of vaseoline on the fitting before slipping the hose on and then they are easier to remove and you dont have to cut them to get them off.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
i leave the skimmers as they are, i just dont use hook them up to the air pump and use them since in freshwater they arent needed or useful. as for the hoses fitting tight i wipe a small amout of vaseoline on the fitting before slipping the hose on and then they are easier to remove and you dont have to cut them to get them off.
Hi Rod. I haven't cut a hose yet not even to install them as they barely reach as is. No need for hooking up the protein skimmer is good news, thanks!

The other problem I see forth coming is how cumbersome the sump is being almost 2 feet tall working inside an enclosed cabinet when I have to remove the baskets I will almost have no clearance to lift them up and clear the tall sump container without tilting the sump tank to one side perhaps spilling water. As it was I forgot to install the internal pump after attaching the hoses and had to remove the skimmer so I could have enough slack to lay the sump on its side and remove the tall inner telescopic workings that require 4 feet to remove to install the pump. Also the auto fill is so tall that you have no choice but to disconnect the hose between the sump and auto fill and drag it outside in order to have enough room to remove the internal tank liner which requires almost 4 feet to clear the plastic housing.

Why Tom's illustration show a picture of both units (sump and auto fill) sitting side by side inside a small cabinet I will never know.

So Im seriously considering stopping where Im at and moving the Tom's PS4 to the Koi 80 tank which has an open frame stand and seems to have much better accessibility to move the sump tank and fill tank outside more easily when and if servicing is required. This will free up the other new FX5 from the 80 Koi tank to be used under the 244 tank & cabinet at the opposite end of the other FX5 already in place. Together 2 FX5's should be more then enough filtering capacity for the 244 even without the benefits of a sump. And hopefully the Koi tank should benefit from the sumps mystical filtering capabilities.

One thing nice about a canister over a sump is that a canister's content is sealed inside no matter what.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store