55 gallon build/journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Maybe it puts you at that by the manufacturer rated GPH...but that is not actual performance.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
well it will probably be 2 tetra 30-60's for now since the kit comes with one. depending on how much i can get for an xbox and playstation at gamestop i might get a 70 too. so will this be enough?
2-tetra 30-60's(or maybe the one in the kit is an aquatech i cant remember)
1-AC 70

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
The three will definitely be better. If you stay with your plan of stocking you should be ok. You will have to keep an eye on params which I'm sure you would do anyway.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
if i removed all but one bristlenose could i do 2-angelfish? not a pair just two females? ive heard two popular ways to sex. one is definent and one seems almost definent. the first are their tubes. i think males have pointed and females have more rounded (correct me if im wrong). then the second way is males sometimes have more of a rounded head whhile females are more pointed.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
It's not the bioload of the fish, it's the aggression. Breeding angels can be very nasty. Angels can be nasty to each other. I have a lone male in my 180g. He hates all other angels and will attack them, per the previous owner. He's a big of a jerk even with my big cichlids in the 180g.

Why is this cichlid build thread in the bottom dwellers forum?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i didnt realize it was. i thought angelfish schooled in nature. so not even 2 females would work together? also could i bring the dithers numbers up if i do cherry barbs or rummynose tetras? something smaller but not too small.

Last edited:

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Nature is much larger than a 55g tank. If your tank was much larger, a school of angels would likely work. Oscars in nature school, problem is, most people don't have tanks large enough to house a school of oscars. There is also a big difference between a school and a pair. A school allows for the dispersion of aggression among many individuals. With a pair, one fish is taking the entire brunt of the beating. Cichlids overall do not tend to play nicely with each other.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok. so could i do this instead?
15-20 smaller schoolers(cherry barbs, cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, etc.)
1-angelfish
1-blood parrot
and maybe something else. im gonna move all the bristlenoses to the 20 gallon long and let them breed. anything else i could add?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store