55G planted South American themed planted tank journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
vacation explosion

I took the family to the beach for almost a week (sunday through thursday night) and opted not to risk having anyone try to take care of my tank. I don't have any fish keeping friends or family nearby; additionally I've got five tanks with fish and just didn't want to try to get someone to deal with all of that.

So I just let the tanks run. For this one, I did a fifty percent water change a day or two before leaving, and fed the fish a little extra (though not by much) the day before leaving.

I got home Thursday night, late (well after lights out), so I couldn't really inspect the tank well, but with the room's lights I could see that my absence had apparently done well for the plants.

This morning I checked and was very happy with the growth. Lots of growth. Noticeable growth in nearly everything, even the anubias petite. The dwarf sag is propagating much more, the microsword is even showing some signs of propagating that I hadn't noticed. Some things have really exploded: most obviously the water sprite, but also the stargrass, the mystery rotala in the front right, the rotala in the back left, and the apongeton.

Some problems though. The algae on the jungle val is still ugly, plus the jungle val is showing some other trouble signs. The cabomba is not doing well, probably for the most part due to where the floating water sprite has gotten itself. Not sure if I should use something to anchor that stuff on the right side or what. Last week I redirected the spray bar - it had been pointing directly from the back to the front, now i've angled it down significantly toward the bottom front corner trying to get more water flow to handle some algae. In general I think that's helped, or SOMETHING helped, as the algae isn't as bad in a lot of places, I think.

I'll be doing a trim this weekend. Starting to run out of places to throw my extras.

I'd like to know if this growth is in part due to the extra CO2 being fully online now, or what. Maybe my being away and not removing the lights so much to trim/play with stuff in the tank made a difference. Maybe it's just that being away from seeing it every day made the contrast more stark.

Here are some pictures. I didn't clean the glass at all, so pardon the yuck.

fulltank20100903.jpg rightside20100903.jpg leftside20100903.jpg rotala20100903.jpg anubiaspetite20100903.jpg dwarfsag20100903.jpg stargrass20100903.jpg valalgae20100903.jpg

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
I was very proud of myself today when I decided to clean my cascade 700 filter, but decided to go ahead and not remove the intake hose from the tank before unscrewing the thing from the filter. I had a cup to catch the water from the hose, then when it overflowed I started to think, "hey, something isn't quite right... what'd I... oh crap."

Pulled the hose out of the tank quickly after that, but still had to clean up quite a mess. Later I did a lot of trimming. Cut out a lot of water sprite, but also completely removed the cabomba. That stuff is really nice when it's grown however the heck the people who know what they're doing grow it (in this case sweetaquatics.com), but in my tank it really started to make a mess. The lower leaves were all falling off, and getting in everything, and the tops were getting stemmy. I thew it all in one of my overflow tanks, hoping I can salvage it. I think part of the problem was that they were overcrowded.

The apongeton was too big for where it was, so I moved it back where the cabomba had been. I also added two new plants: Cryptocoryne undulata and Echinodorus Red Flame. Hopefully they'll adapt well.

No pictures tonight, I'll probably take some tomorrow. The tank was a mess of debris when I was "done," and the process had taken a lot longer than I'd hoped, past the regular lights-out time for the tank, and I was in that state where the longer I looked the more I wanted to change, so I decided to shut the lights out and let it rest for the night.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
It looks great! I wish my plants would grow that fast in a weeks time!

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
Aponogeton flower

Tank's been doing well. the other day I was surprised to see a flower sticking out the top of the tank when I removed the hood to feed the fish. The Aponogeton Crispus had sent a stalk up a few days before, and it flowered very close to the lights. I have since moved the flower so that it is sticking up beside the hood so that it doesn't burn resting against the bulbs. It's gotten larger since this picture but I haven't taken any more shots:

apongeton201009flower.jpg

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Wow! Looks great! How about a full tank shot?

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
Yeah I'll put a full tank shot up hopefully tomorrow. I haven't been taking pictures so much lately.

Forgot to mention though that today I saw at least 8 of the 10 amanos that I put in there some time ago. Lately I'd begun to think (again) that they'd all been eaten or something. I guess they've all got a good place to hide in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store