55G planted South American themed planted tank journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
Overdue Update - not so South American themed 55 gallon

It's been a while since I've posted in my journal here, but since I've started to get back into messing with the tank I thought it might be worth doing.

I had originally planned on having all South American type fish and plants in this tank. Early on I moved away from that somewhat with my plant choices. I didn't want to go blackwater (is that what that's called?) anyway.

Since then, I've gone through long periods of barely even maintaining my tanks (I stop doing CO2, stop dosing ferts, don't change the T5 fluorescent bulbs, etc.) I keep feeding the fish, and occasionally (very occasionally) doing water changes. but that's it. In this tank the plants die back a good bit, start looking unhealthy, etc. Fortunately I very rarely lose fish.

About 3 months back I got back into heavier maintenance, and then shortly thereafter decided to rescape a little bit and sell some of the massive amounts of Vals I'd grown since re-starting ferts and CO2. Now, for the time being, anyway, I'm spending a lot of time with the tanks.

During my off-time, the filter on the 20 gallon in my living room died. I didn't feel like replacing it though, so I took all 12 of the cherry barbs from that tank and put them in the 55. About a year ago there were only 4 cherry barbs in that tank, but they had babies and 8 of them survived. So I added the cherry barbs to my 55 with the bleeding heart tetras, black skirt tetras, amano shrimp, and rainbow. Clearly all thoughts of it being a themed tank were well gone by then.

Today when I was cleaning I was surprised to find yet another young cherry barb hiding in the massive pile of plants. I never saw any fry; I'm amazed any can survive that tank with all the bleeding hearts. I couldn't find any more young 'uns today, so maybe just one made it. Or maybe the others are still hiding. At any rate this one came out in the open while I was taking pictures...

I'll attach a couple full tank shots at the bottom, as well as one of the new member of the family.
threequarterstanks.jpg
babybarb.jpg
fulltankshot.jpg

threequarterstanks.jpg babybarb.jpg fulltankshot.jpg

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
More updates

Another update for no good reason. I've added some fish in the past few months, and gone through a fight with ich. Not sure I'm entirely in the clear from that yet.

So now there are 4 glowlight tetras and 2 harlequin rasboras, in addition to the fish I already had in there. The cherry barbs are also continuing to reproduce. Seems like one or two per new generation is surviving. So at this point I think 5 fish have shown up in the tank since the beginning of summer.

I've got a lot of plant species in there. In the past few months I've added some stems: ludwigia sp 'red' (in the center foreground), Persicaria Kawaegonum (in the center background,) and Ludwigia Repens Arcuata, on the left side (really out of place there, I just didn't know where to put it.)

I also removed all of the Cryptocoryne Spiralis or Retrospiralis that I had in here, putting it all in other tanks and selling a few pieces. I like the stuff a lot but it always disappears in the jungle vals, and I think it's a slow enough growing plant that I wanted to try it in some other setups.

Also rescaped somewhat since the last full tank shot in this thread. In the shot I'm posting here it's obvious that I'm trying to hold down the driftwood I added. I used some twine, and it didn't last long enough so now the piece of wood on the right is floating again. At some point i'll probably try to reposition it.

full tank shot 55g 2012 08 27.jpg 55gallon fish 2 2012 09 10.jpg 55gallon fish 3 2012 09 10.jpg

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Looking Good!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store