58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Forgot to mention at last week's update that even though I didn't add any ferts for at least a month, at WCs I still had about 5 nitrate. I think this is important to note because I believe some nitrates need to be present at all times to keep a planted tank balanced. Zero nitrates tends to always lead to problems.

Also didn't mention that I saw newborn shrimp that day. And today I see NEW newborn shrimp. :D Those berried mommas are such great hiders!

So I tried a magic eraser on the stubborn build up on my glass but to no avail. :( It's really frustrating that nothing will take it off and it is getting worse so one day it might be unbearable.

NO FTS shots today cause I am in the middle of changing some stuff. But here is a couple quick pics to hold you over.

I love these guys! I love that even their heads have the zebra lines! And their freaky little blue-ish eyes! Nom Nom Nom
View attachment 221994 View attachment 221995

That must be a yummy stick! Is what you think at first but then you will see what is REALLY going on....That big one in the middle just released her eggs and molted and yup the 2 on the ends are the 2 males of the tank. lol
View attachment 221996
Well, I had my zebra nerite only a week or so before my vacation disaster. I'm sorry I didn't notice their pretty stripes or blue eyes!! So fun! I'll live vicariously with yours...until my next try.

My husband is Mr. Razorblade on all glass tanks, bless his hard work on algae & residue of whatever.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well, I had my zebra nerite only a week or so before my vacation disaster. I'm sorry I didn't notice their pretty stripes or blue eyes!! So fun! I'll live vicariously with yours...until my next try.

My husband is Mr. Razorblade on all glass tanks, bless his hard work on algae & residue of whatever.
I love my nerites! I want to get more varieties too but the others are harder to find. :( I did see all but one of them at the same time yesterday, with all the plant cover that is rare. And the one I didn't see was my black spiked guy and he is always the hardest to find cause of his dark color and he is the smallest too.

I have done mag-float, vinegar, magic eraser and razor blades. Nothing has ANY effect, I mean none.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
This week....What's in the bucket!?
20623696_1347343925391457_1074792468_o.jpg

Acclimation is gonna take awhile but I will unveil them later. Guy told me his pH was 7.2 but it tested 6.3 and my pH is 8.2 SOOOOO 2 hours in and probably 2 more to go. These mystery fish are locally bred so most likely no health issues but they will go into my QT for a couple weeks to be sure. My QT has been non-stop busy this year! Literally back to back stocking, luckily I didn't need to sterilize in between so I could keep the bacteria going.

No pictures of the tank this week either. Been super busy and haven't finished the changes yet but they are happening....very slowly lol.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OMG, I think you've got PLASTIC! Clothespin, tubing & hose, with a major case of wood! What could it be? I can't wait for your reveal, but it better be good!!

Good job on the testing & slow acclimation, you never know but always best to be safe. Good luck with your new critters...whatever they may be.

Reactions: myswtsins

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
*snigger*

You said major case of wood!!!! :eek:

Reactions: myswtsins

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
LOL Oh my, I hate to break the illusion but that is a plastic cave not wood. :rolleyes:

It is not as good as I'd like it to be. It is something we kinda talked about, a not so common pleco but they seem to be very low quality. Trying to keep my hopes up that they just need time to adjust and will color up eventually (but the pictures were poor as well). But I got them for the price of brown BNs (6 @ $6ea) so I can at least make my money back once they grow and I get a breeding pair/trio.

Let's see if you can tell me what they are supposed to be....

Don't mind my algae in the QT, they are loving it! Little poop machines!
IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3681.JPG IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3684.JPG IMG_3685.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
They look like shortfinned L144s to me,

But look like pictures I have seen of 'super red' ancistrus, but they were bad pictures too... And looked nothing like the ones we have downstairs.

You should just give them your own name... And have the collection point somewhere behind a NJ 7-11 ;)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
They look like shortfinned L144s to me,

But look like pictures I have seen of 'super red' ancistrus, but they were bad pictures too... And looked nothing like the ones we have downstairs.

You should just give them your own name... And have the collection point somewhere behind a NJ 7-11 ;)
Exactly! To all that! lol They were sold as 1.5-2" (ha) super reds. At that price point I knew they wouldn't be "super red" (orange) but they are even less red (orange) than I had hoped...so far. Either way I figure I can grow these up, sell some/all and then be able to afford some good quality ones (trying to be positive!).

You have some nice ones downstairs?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Jen's gold 144's I'm positive! I was given 6 tiny fry a year & 2 ago, but only kept a pretty (smaller) girl. I don't want to deal with fry any time soon...I hear they breed like...BNs, lol.

Mine did take a while to get really gold, eyes only blue-ish black at best but I love my girl. The friend I gave the rest to had only 1 fry survive his first spawn. His kids love them...& so do his angelfish, snarf!!

Oh, I see you think they're red! Either way, they'll breed tons I bet! Flood the market!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store