Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

58g Planted w/overflow and sump

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by myswtsins, Sep 2, 2016.

1. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 3:33 AM
    I'm not sure how to respond to threats of going to the "dark side" as we say in my plant club, sheesh...but I am sorry for your loss of your ancient rummynose. You gave him a good long life, you should be proud of that!

2. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Nov 25, 2018
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    I traveled almost all of July and August leaving my nearly overgrown tank all by itself....we all know what happened upon my return.

I forgot to take a before pic so this is shortly after starting to thin the tank and having already removed this many plants.
    (30" usteriana)
    IMG_4306.JPG
    IMG_4307.JPG
    IMG_4302.JPG
    IMG_4303.JPG
    IMG_4304.JPG

And I make a mess lol
    IMG_4308.JPG

And this is how the tank looks right now after removing 45+ usteriana plants!
    IMG_4317.JPG

OMG there is a space! lol But not enough IMO. Once I started removing I realized just how many plants were in there and it was too much to do my usual selling (mailing ugh) so i stopped here. The bronze crypts and the front clump of hygro kompact got shaded out pretty hard but the left clump of kompact is still going well. The affinis metallic red lost it's strong color (already started before I left) and the nurii thinned, got leggy and lost some color too. The hudoroi got much taller which I like. Lastly, the buce died back A LOT but hopefully I can revive it. But what did I do with those extra usteriana?
    41524137_2753548068204464_3541772900073734144_n.jpg

I joined a club and sold them!!! Aren't you proud of me @dougall@dougall? They sold for a way higher price than I was expecting too so bonus for me! I literally bought every type of plant they had also but I still came out way ahead lol. I got water lettuce, water sprite and subwassertang, pretty basic but I didn't have any and no one wanted the poor water lettuce.

Anyway, I am ready for a change in this tank. Might remove the usteriana completely, just not sure what I want to replace it with yet. (Don't worry I put it in my 29g too so I'll still have some!) The fish really love the canopy area, especially the roseline sharks and I want to keep them super happy cause they are already in a small tank. So I don't want to leave that area too open. Maybe vals? Or maybe a wood structure with just some anubias and moss, then I could remove the back light? With the Fall auction coming up at my club maybe I will sell everything and start something different....

3. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 6:03 AM
    You went last night? If you'd have said I'd even have gone along.. in spite of that English bloke who was talking.

Sign up to go to Jenkinson's in November... I'll bring you more subwassertang!

But seriously glad you went.. !

4. myswtsins

Staff Member

Jen
    Nov 25, 2018
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    It was kinda last minute, which is good because I had less time to talk myself out of it lol. I am definitely going to Jenks in November, super excited for that! Hopefully I will be drowning in subwassertang by then. :D Although it is mixed with Java moss and quite a bit of algae but hopefully after a very short QT period I will let my amano devour the algae! See you in Nov!

dougall likes this.
  5. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Jen, I'm so glad you took the club plunge! So much weeding! It'd have been a shame to compost them & you got "free plants" from your generosity :D.

You don't have to go to every meet & you already know some people...even if they have odd ways of speaking at times :p

myswtsins likes this.
  6. myswtsins

Staff Member

Jen
    Nov 25, 2018
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    Don't do WCs at 11pm when you don't have a back-up pump just in case when you go to restart your pump it breaks, ugh. Tomorrow I will see what I have outside but for tonight I put all my pot scrubbers in a AC 110 and left everything else wet in the sump. Was I thinking about redoing this tank? This might be the push!

7. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Oh no! Hopefully you found what you need in your equipment stash.

You inspired me to do a major weeding in both my 75 & 55...& now I can see more moss to remove & what else needs trimming. I kept trying to wait for a club meet but I haven't been in a while. I removed ~3g of plant material to the compost pile & I'm a little sore, lol.

8. myswtsins

Staff Member

Jen
    Nov 25, 2018
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    Nope, couldn't find anything. Luckily I just got some plant sponges (aka water lettuce and sprite) from my fish club that I can throw in there in case of mini cycle. ;)

Nice, a little fall cleaning! Should have mailed the plants to me though! :D

9. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

There weren't any plants you'd want ;( or I'd have offered. I haven't looked at my "grow out" tank lately or my bucket of stuff from my leaky 20g. A lot of non-tank stuff going on these days.

Watch the sprite, that was 1 of the weeds for me, lol. I like it in a more controlled setting than you know my tanks are, like 1 per tank & all babies removed in a timely manner.

myswtsins likes this.
  10. myswtsins

Staff Member

Jen
    Nov 25, 2018
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    Spathe! First one from the Usteriana. Obviously it doesn't understand that the leaves are doubled over to stay in the water so it's popping out lol. Don't mind my crusty holding cell.

IMG_4362.JPG IMG_4364.JPG

dougall likes this.