58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Had to pour concrete today so not much happened with this tank, or any tank. I thought the water might have cleared up a little but after reviewing the photos I'm gonna have to say it's not clearer. :confused: Threw some carbon is there too. Just amazes me that particles I can see so clearly aren't getting trapped by the 4 pads I have in the sump. Guess a WC is in order.

I did test for iron and got a clear ZERO so that makes me VERY happy!

Of course I am going to end up spending way more than I expected.

Spent so far (not including things I already owned)
Lights - $120
Plants - $60
Needle Valves and ports- $16
Metricide - $21

Still need to buy
CO2 tank hydrotest and fill - $50
Doser - $60 (ish)
New Reactor - ???
Pump for reactor - ???
More plants - ???
Water change pump - ???

Notice most of that is for the CO2? Yeah, me too! Might hold off on CO2 since I have easy plants planned so far and a gallon of metricide to hold me over. :)

(Things that I own that I can't find!
Hose adapter for my "python"
drop checker
dosing bottle
co2 tubing
camera tripod

Elves are stealing my stuff...again!)

Forgot how light Oil-Dri is. Just trying to clean the glass a little with one of those sponges on a stick and it was moving all over. Surprisingly the output doesn't move it at all though. Speaking of output, I might just keep what I have! An advantage of this cloudiness is I can see exactly how the water is flowing and it seems pretty good. If not, I just want to do a simple double split nozzle, probably centered in the back.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think I have supply "elves" too, not just for fish stuff. I have a lot of "Excel" too, I just don't remember to dose quite regularly, meh. & there you go with never ending co2 expenses...Tell me it gets better...but I'm not sure I believe it. My "free" set up is not seeming nearly enough compared to your lists. Darn it

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'll let you know if it gets better. :) Going on over 7 years of CO2 use now (wow, time flies, had to look that up) and it always has it's ups and downs FOR ME. Most people don't have my troubles though.

Found the drop checker! And I might know where the dosing bottle is...in my knee wall storage. :/

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can keep costs for CO2 down if you shop around and aren't in a rush... some people might call that hoarding though ;)

If you haven't already, you should look into joining the NJAGC, there are a few members here and I'm sure you'll be able to get more than enough plants that you'd like to use. :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I don't do well in groups. All my past club/expo/konvention experiences have been very off putting. Tried going alone, tried bringing friends and I just can't assimilate. Not very social I guess. :oops:

Anyway, plants came a day early, SURPRISE!! So being unprepared I literally just stuck em in the tank with little thought to scaping, just the basic "this is tall, it goes in the back". And OMG there are SO many plants, I don't know what to do with all of them! I might sell some even cause I'd like something other than these few species of crypts in the tank.

Right now I am waiting for my new water to warm up so I can refill the tank. Glad I put off the water change though cause I had to do one anyways for planting. And I expect it to be even cloudier this time cause planting made a big mess! So you might not get to see much.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You would be more than welcome to pass the time with us at any club meeting or convention we attend... we might be able to introduce you to a few prople too.... and I am far from social either.

Most plants I have are pretty much low light, there are a few varieties of crypts too... but you should talk to Rachel about the Tropica TC plants too :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
You would be more than welcome to pass the time with us at any club meeting or convention we attend... we might be able to introduce you to a few prople too.... and I am far from social either.

Most plants I have are pretty much low light, there are a few varieties of crypts too... but you should talk to Rachel about the Tropica TC plants too :)
Thanks. :) Those TC things are too fancy for me. Why buy plants if they don't have snails!? ;)

Picture time! I couldn't plant all the plants sent to me, it just seemed like too much. I will put some into my shrimp tank but anyone interested in buying some healthy but grown in low tech crypts? Forgive the messiness of the poor crypts, transport and then laying down for hours has them all crazy.

Packaged well! Really squeezed a lot into a medium flat rate box but didn't crush anything. Love that it's labeled too!
IMG_2784.JPG

Had the tank about 1/3 full then it got too cloudy/muddy so I drained it completely to finish planting.
IMG_2789.JPG

Spent awhile misting the plants while I waited for my barrel of water to warm up (would have had it prepared for tomorrow) but finally got water in there and it's not as cloudy as I expected! I left some space for hardscape and other midground plants.
IMG_2790.JPG
IMG_2791.JPG

Hudoroi in the back and nurii and/or affinis "metallic red" in front (guess he couldn't tell them apart?)
IMG_2792.JPG

Few balansae in the back. I should have taken pictures of the roots on these things! Plant has 2 small leaves but a fist full of roots, crazy!
IMG_2793.JPG

Big usteriana!
IMG_2794.JPG

Some more nurii/affinis
IMG_2795.JPG

Working on a couple buce sticks. No idea what I am going to do with them but had to attach them to something. No idea on the species either.
IMG_2796.JPG

I turned the flow down a lot and will only keep the underpowered lights on for a few hours a day for at least a few days while the crypts adjust. I will add some excel but no other ferts atm. Still a lot of work to do but...LET THE MELT BEGIN! lol Roots are amazing on most of these plants so it will be fine. The nurii/affinis is the most vulnerable root wise.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, that's a ton of plants! Even that's not all? Your tank will be a spectacular jungle!

BTW, I consider myself to be kinda shy but I guess I'm not really anymore...since working retail way back in my first job, a gazillion years ago, lol. I'm probably 1 of the chattier members of my club. Really, all you say is tell me about your tank, plants or fish & go from there. Chances are they have pics, fish or problems that you know quite a bit about. They'll probably let you talk too, lol, if you want. Auctions are fun too, you get some other hoarder's stuff or local fish. You're not shy here on AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store