65 gallon LJ project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Honestly idk why urs wither aways but ur not the only one with plant problems. My plants wither away too. Guessing its something to do with light/nutrients.

and no, ur tank is not boring. First, u got larger tank than i can have and u got my most wanted fishes and i like the way the light shines :) and u can have a nice background without ur tank leaking causing it to rot and collapse.

Reactions: Lalo J.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I appreciate the compliments my friend but come on, that tank is pretty boring without the green color. Of course the problem is not getting more plants but trying not to die, I'm not sure what they mean by "root tabs", but even the easiest plants wither in my tank, any suggestions?
Root tabs are little discs, approximately 0.5 inches in diameter, that you press into the substrate around your plants. They add nutrients and are supposed to encourage root growth. I use them around crypts, sword plants and vallisneria, especially in my sand-substrate tanks. I use a half or quarter tablet per plant once per month. I usually use the API ones here at API Root Tabs. I've never used the Flourish tabs so I can't give you a comparison.

My plants are meant to be functional and to compliment the fish; none of my tanks are supposed to be brilliantly scaped visions of beauty, lol. In addition to the root tabs, the rest of my specific care regimen is Seachem Flourish Excel once a week and a home-made liquid fertilizer that a friend who's really into planted tanks came up with twice a month, mainly for my cabomba, hornwort, and this other stuff green, pink-trimmed stuff with actual leaves that grows like crazy (I can't remember what it is, maybe ludwigia). I don't have a lot of delicate plants, though, and my goal is really to keep the plants healthy so they serve their purpose as cover. One thing I will say, I used to have a heck of a time with plants until Mark started helping me. When he showed me how to make his liquid concoction, he told me to quit overthinking it and trying so hard, especially since I wasn't dealing with delicate plants.

WYite

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Thanks for your contributions guys, since yesterday my tank was left without lighting for a few days so I can get more led lamps. I'll see how the plants do, I'm not sure if I can get root tabs, but I have excel at hand in the LFS, I have Cryptocorines and amazon swords, I just want them to grow and expand, especially the Cryptocorines that I love when they are huge.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Thanks for your contributions guys, since yesterday my tank was left without lighting for a few days so I can get more led lamps. I'll see how the plants do, I'm not sure if I can get root tabs, but I have excel at hand in the LFS, I have Cryptocorines and amazon swords, I just want them to grow and expand, especially the Cryptocorines that I love when they are huge.
Would recommend lighting with these requirements:

- 6500k (if more possible you will really much more natural look)
- 500 lumens but more is recommended
Depending on your tank size i would actually go for 15 watts per 10 or 5 gallons.

i am using a 8w=60w, 806 lumen and 6500k daylight bulb for just a regular ever desk lamp XD but my plants grow like mad. And if ya want you can use some potting mix ever long lasting (more than those nutrient UFOs). Couldntthink of anything but UFOs *^*

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Would recommend lighting with these requirements:

- 6500k (if more possible you will really much more natural look)
- 500 lumens but more is recommended
Depending on your tank size i would actually go for 15 watts per 10 or 5 gallons.

i am using a 8w=60w, 806 lumen and 6500k daylight bulb for just a regular ever desk lamp XD but my plants grow like mad. And if ya want you can use some potting mix ever long lasting (more than those nutrient UFOs). Couldntthink of anything but UFOs *^*
I was using MTS (which is still mineralized earth) with my Cryptocorines but they started to deteriorate, I'm not sure why, I think angels are especially bad with plants, there were leaves with pieces missing. May reuse 6500k bulbs.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Yesterday was the second day of temporary power outage and while that was happening I had an idea, photograph my penguin tetras in the dark, those fish are magnificent, they are not rare but I really love them, hell look at the colors of these luminous guys:
P1020871~2.JPG
P1020936~2.JPG
P1020886~2.JPG

• Love
Reactions: dudley and Sprinkle

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
There were penguin tetras at the LFS, today I tried to get more but as usual I was not on time lol. I only have 5, and sometimes they fight, it would be good to get at least 4 more. Although my tetras were not the only ones photographed:P1020951~2.JPG
P1020903~2.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store