65G FOWLR Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Reactions: Lalo J.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
The sump is ready, I'll put it into operation this weekend, perhaps along with QT tank. Ask about butterflyfish with a reputable dealer but I didn't even get an answer from him, thinking of keeping two or three butterflies in this tank.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Today I dedicated myself to installing the sump, I must say that I only went through headaches. Something told me that I shouldn't install it today but come on, it's Sunday and there's time; everything went wrong.
When I finished filling the sump with new water I realized that my iron base where it was held was close to expiring, too crooked and I still don't understand how the hell I couldn't realize it before, damn it so act fast, so fast that I moved abruptly and moved the bases of my lamps that I had also stupidly not removed to install the sump, everything fell into the water and it is clear that they no longer work. So there is no sump installed and now I have to get other lamps, beyond that I have to build an individual wooden base for the sump and I have to do it quickly, because I have new water running in a 20 gallon bucket and in the 10 sump gallons, plus live rock that needs lighting as soon as possible. I only got a series of stupid disasters for such silly and ridiculous mistakes, because the base had supported the bucket with approximately 150 liters of water without any problem, and a sump with half that liter has been about to break it, what logic, in I finally go to bed, I've had enough.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Last Tuesday I was able to manufacture an iron base tailored to the sump, thanks to a hobby friend who has the tools and knowledge, we were able to do it in a couple of hours. I didn't have time to install again until today. Apparently everything worked in order until I realized that the water falls out of the downpipe too, hell it's ridiculous because the tank was working all week with only a couple of centimeters less below the overflow and there was never any leak, but today when using the overflow through the tube it turned out that it also came out and I have no idea how it can happen, but finally I was able to solve it with something that is not aesthetic at all but apparently it works, another large pvc that surrounds the tube of downhill and works as a slide so that the water that runs outside also falls into the sump. I also have a detail on the ascent, the pump is stronger than I thought, so I placed an improvised outlet with a stopcock on top of the water that looks terribly bad, but it helps me distribute the water well, anyway, as soon as I have time, I'm going to make the modification from the sump part and place the stopcock where it has to go and it seems I would be putting an end to all this, for the moment the tank works "well", just like that.
The errors in this tank seeing how one more arrives, lol:
FB_IMG_1613448781589~2.jpg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
It'll all come around and work eventually. The big question is will it all come together while you're still in that "it's still fun to tinker" stage when you're still enjoying the tinkering or will it come together in that "if I have to look at this thing one more minute I'll explode" stage when the mere thought of it makes you cringe and you hate the sight of the whole mess. It sounds like right now you're kind of between the two.

So what are those little guys in the picture supposed to be? They kind of look like turtles with a beaver's tail? Anyways, they kind of creep me out. In that "clowns are creepy" sort of way, you know, where something is supposed to be cute or fun but accomplishes the opposite. ?

WYite

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
To be honest I hate when these details appear, you end up with something and two more situations appear, and it doesn't even have to do with fish maintenance, they are just things that appear "just because" and it really upsets me, but it seems like it's resolved, once I solved the issue of the descent I felt relieved, I saw the soccer at ease, I'm glad I did not see more water on the ground. Although the fun is about to begin, I'm about to prepare my qt tank :D :D :D .
WYite, I'm sorry about the image,
It comes from a very famous cartoon, I only saw a similar joke on fb and it seemed to me that it was my situation, I'm sorry I scared you because I also think that clowns are scary lol; I would delete the photo if I could but I don't know how to do it.
Anyway, it only remains to resolve the issue of the stopcock on the climb, and connect the new lamps, I think it will only take a few minutes, I will do it as soon as I can. I caught this guy in the foreground a few moments ago, he really helps with unwanted algae:
IMG_20210221_215940.jpg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
WYite, I'm sorry about the image,
It comes from a very famous cartoon, I only saw a similar joke on fb and it seemed to me that it was my situation, I'm sorry I scared you because I also think that clowns are scary lol; I would delete the photo if I could but I don't know how to do it.
Oh, Lalo, it's all good, man. You didn't scare me and don't worry about the picture. I should have stuck a smiley face in there somewhere, I guess. I'm not going to lose any sleep over them. They just don't look, well, "right" to me, some things are just wrong. Don't feel bad at all. What is the cartoon? It is not one I'm familiar with.

I have a funny story about clowns. When my youngest daughter was 5, we took the kids to an event hosted here every year at Halloween, called the "Goblin Walk". There are two routes, one is a longer 1 mile route that is supposed to be scarier and caters to kids in their mid teens through adults. The shorter 1/2 mile route was supposed to be less scary and more fun for younger kids. Our kids were 11, 8 and 5, so we went the shorter route. Well, the first thing we had to do was go through a maze with strobe lights, that was filled with clowns who would step out and give the kids a little scare. Paige was five and was with me. We went first and every time I saw a clown I'd kind of wave them off, and the person would nod and step back and Paige would giggle that we'd tricked the clowns. Everything went perfect until we walked out of the maze into the opening at the end. There were three clowns, but I only saw one right off. In spite of mine and the clown I did see efforts to wave the other two off, it was too late. The other two jumped out and scared her, and that was all she wrote. Paige was terrified. She wasn't screaming, she was shrieking. The rules were that you couldn't go backwards. The whole thing is in a park, but I couldn't step out of the pathway because it was dark and I didn't want to spend an hour or more wandering through bushes and trees until I came to a path while carrying a screaming little girl. I looked at my wife and she waved me off. So I went ahead and carrying Paige the full 1/2 mile with her eyes buried in my shoulder and while she was shrieking as loud as she could in my ear. I walked as fast as I could around every skit and all I had to do was nod and everybody dressed like a zombie or witch or whatever backed off. We finally got to the end and I sat down. I literally had to peel her off me, because she was clinging so hard my right arm was asleep and I couldn't hear anything but ringing in my right ear. I never got totally free but I got free enough that my arm had blood circulating again, lol. After finishing all the kids were supposed to get a bag of candy, and they had people in costumes handing them out. I had Paige somewhat calmed down, but if one of the people handing out candy even looked at Paige, she started screaming. My wife got a bag for her. My wife had to drive home, because Paige wouldn't let go of me so I could drive. That was the one time we didn't put one of our kids in a car safety seat, because we could not get her to let go of me enough to get her into it. She sat on my lap all the way home.

Is that a nassarius snail? I have two in my FOWLR tank, and every couple of weeks one used to climb to the one of the upper corners and lay strips of eggs just below the water line. There were probably several hundred each time. Have you seen this happen? Mine haven't done it in a year or so now, though.

WYite

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Oh, Lalo, it's all good, man. You didn't scare me and don't worry about the picture. I should have stuck a smiley face in there somewhere, I guess. I'm not going to lose any sleep over them. They just don't look, well, "right" to me, some things are just wrong. Don't feel bad at all. What is the cartoon? It is not one I'm familiar with.

I have a funny story about clowns. When my youngest daughter was 5, we took the kids to an event hosted here every year at Halloween, called the "Goblin Walk". There are two routes, one is a longer 1 mile route that is supposed to be scarier and caters to kids in their mid teens through adults. The shorter 1/2 mile route was supposed to be less scary and more fun for younger kids. Our kids were 11, 8 and 5, so we went the shorter route. Well, the first thing we had to do was go through a maze with strobe lights, that was filled with clowns who would step out and give the kids a little scare. Paige was five and was with me. We went first and every time I saw a clown I'd kind of wave them off, and the person would nod and step back and Paige would giggle that we'd tricked the clowns. Everything went perfect until we walked out of the maze into the opening at the end. There were three clowns, but I only saw one right off. In spite of mine and the clown I did see efforts to wave the other two off, it was too late. The other two jumped out and scared her, and that was all she wrote. Paige was terrified. She wasn't screaming, she was shrieking. The rules were that you couldn't go backwards. The whole thing is in a park, but I couldn't step out of the pathway because it was dark and I didn't want to spend an hour or more wandering through bushes and trees until I came to a path while carrying a screaming little girl. I looked at my wife and she waved me off. So I went ahead and carrying Paige the full 1/2 mile with her eyes buried in my shoulder and while she was shrieking as loud as she could in my ear. I walked as fast as I could around every skit and all I had to do was nod and everybody dressed like a zombie or witch or whatever backed off. We finally got to the end and I sat down. I literally had to peel her off me, because she was clinging so hard my right arm was asleep and I couldn't hear anything but ringing in my right ear. I never got totally free but I got free enough that my arm had blood circulating again, lol. After finishing all the kids were supposed to get a bag of candy, and they had people in costumes handing them out. I had Paige somewhat calmed down, but if one of the people handing out candy even looked at Paige, she started screaming. My wife got a bag for her. My wife had to drive home, because Paige wouldn't let go of me so I could drive. That was the one time we didn't put one of our kids in a car safety seat, because we could not get her to let go of me enough to get her into it. She sat on my lap all the way home.

Is that a nassarius snail? I have two in my FOWLR tank, and every couple of weeks one used to climb to the one of the upper corners and lay strips of eggs just below the water line. There were probably several hundred each time. Have you seen this happen? Mine haven't done it in a year or so now, though.

WYite
Wow, that must have been a terrifying experience for your youngest daughter, poor Paige, a story that they will not forget, and that surely today they can tell with laughter and not between tears and screams of horror in her ear hehe.
I have no idea what snail I have here but this is the biggest I've seen, only a couple of times I saw one or two small ones and then they just disappeared, they had a nice design on their shell. I have siphoned the sand a couple of times since everything is in the large tank, the detritus accumulates and I prefer to remove it like that, I'm sure that little by little the sand will disappear in certain areas, which does not worry me since many tanks FOWLR with the bare bottom are successful.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I like the right side of the tank better how it looks now, I removed the small rocks and sent them to the sump, if I have time today I will install the qt tank, it should not be anything complicated, it's probably only a matter of days to have fish here.
IMG_20210223_182709~2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store