70gal Paludarium/Vivarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I just scored a pair of bamboo shrimp; they are currently tearing it up in my QT. No one wanted my enormous portion of moss/pelila so I just threw that in there as well. Shrimp have started filter feeding and seem happy. I guess I will QT them for about two weeks and then add them to the main tank. After that, I think I am really leaning towards the Red Tail Black Shark.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Looks Mazing.. any land critters? I Would keep the Asian and put some Mossy Tree frogs in there.
Thanks! No land critters, I don't have a full lid and don't think I plan on putting one in after all. Mossy Tree Frogs would be pretty sick though! If I ever do a tree frog tank again, will probably do Mossy Tree Frogs, African reed frogs, or Pacific Tree Frogs

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Well, the bamboo shrimp are in the tank now. I am unsure how they will do though; as they were acclimating in a bag (I re-bagged them from QT) my barbs started eyeballing them and circling like sharks. The largest barbs kinda poked at the shrimp and then just circled around for a bit. I haven't seen the shrimp out filter feeding at the places I would imagine they would like; I have only seen them a few times hanging out real tight to cover (though they are coming out a bit more each day I think).

One of them filter-fed all the time and in the open in QT while the other was much more shy; I have seen the same thing in this tank. Hopefully they can filter feed and thrive in the main tank; if they don't I'm not sure I will be able to catch them without ripping the whole tank apart.

Side note; four Odessa Barbs and a Red Tail Black Shark are now in QT. Maybe I will actually finish the plants above the waterline after the holidays..

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
No new pics right now... tank is overgrown with moss and pelila... Need to trim and sell some. Apparently no one in the classifieds here wants any.

Anywho, only news is: Two of my barbs have since committed suicide by ramming into various parts of the tank, my shrimp might have died while I was on vacation (something always seems to go wrong when I'm gone), and the shark/rest of the tank inhabitants appear to get along, well, swimmingly.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
(something always seems to go wrong when I'm gone)
I hear ya! Left last Thurs AM and came back Sunday evening, and ALL the shrimp in my 2 gallon invert tank were dead. The only change was I added a betta right before leaving, and I was sure the large amano would be fine because it was bigger than the betta! My pet sitter is 100% trustworthy, and it was only 3.5 days. All the ghost shrimp in my 29g have vanished too. Everything was fine when I left.....

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Yup, makes me not want to go on vacation sometimes... Never know what is going to go wrong when I come home! From house to pets, it is almost always something.

That sucks about your invert tank; really puts a damper on your previously happy post-vacation mood

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store